Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Problems with VNC in Knoppix

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1

    Problems with VNC in Knoppix

    Hello everyone. Hope your all well & hopefully somebody can help me out with a problem Im sure, is pretty simple for an expert! Also note, that Ihave searched not only this forum, but the Internet in general too to try & find an answer to my problem before posting here - so as not to waste anyones time!

    ok, I have a box running a HDD install of Knoppix. Everythings fine, network adapter is configured , has an IP address over DHCP, can access the Internet, all ok. Now I try & run the VNC server and although it tells me its running on display 1 with all the usual output, I cannot access it from another client.

    now, each client can ping the other, so for example, the PC I want to use VNC Viewer on can ping the box running the VNC server, and vice versa, but no connectivity over VNC. A look at the log (knoppix:1.log) says theres a problem with a font path or file...........? It then says fatal server error!

    Could someone possibly shed some light on this? Im guessing I have to modify the vnc.conf file somewhat but dont know where it is.

    Cheers

    Mario

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1
    Well I have a project I am working on that would work great using knoppix on stripped-down pc's as terminals supporting samba-shared printers.

    One of the musts is that I need to have VNC at startup for remote administration/support.

    I booted two machines on the same network (they can see each other, ping-wise) with two knoppix 5.0 DVD's. I went to KDE MENU->Control Center->Internet & Network->Desktop Sharing on both machines. I checked the "Allow uninvited connections" and "Allow uninvited connections to control the desktop" and unchecked all the other options. I used no password to keep things simple.

    I opened a screen console and got the ip addresses of the machines using ifconfig.

    At this point I was able to VNC into either machine from the other. They are both running the exact same version of VNC so that variable should be out of the equation. I was having problems with VNC from XP but this test told me I -COULD- make the machines talk to each other since I could make this most-simple solution work.

    Now I rebooted one machine into XP and tried using RealVNC (which is the product we will be using on XP, for now) in that configuration. I was having a problem with the VNC window appearing for a brief second and closing just when the display was made. Occasionally I had a KDE error report window open on the Knoppix desktop.

    I made sure my firewall running on the XP box was not blocking the Knoppix machine. I also ran the RealVNC listener and server. This has been working for the most part. Sometimes Knoppix 5.0 still will close the connection unexpectedly. This is on my home network where I have NO problems with VNC from my XP box in the front room to my dedicated SuSE linux server in the home office.

    This is how I got VNC working on my Knoppix situation. I hope it gets you somewhere.

    I am saving my knoppix.sh and configs.tbz on a thumb drive. I now want to remaster my Knoppix so that it automatically does the "myconfig=scan" during the boot.

Similar Threads

  1. Problems with apt-get in Knoppix 5.0.1
    By javiergp in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-22-2006, 12:39 PM
  2. Knoppix 4.0 Problems
    By wroseland in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-23-2006, 02:10 PM
  3. Knoppix Problems or Hardware Problems
    By mindmeddler2003 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 07:29 PM
  4. ideq 200s problems and more problems
    By lesshaste in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-09-2004, 05:50 PM
  5. knoppix cd problems
    By pbearseven in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-14-2003, 11:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$59.99



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$305.01



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99