Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Can't see cdrom1

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    19

    Can't see cdrom1

    I am using Knoppix live CD with no hard drive, just a USB flash drive. The live CD is in one of two optical drives, and shows up on the desktop as cdrom.
    If I click on the cdrom icon Konqueror opens up and I then see the contents of the live CD displayed. The second opitical drive appears on the desktop as cdrom1. However, when I click on the cdrom1 icon on the desktop I get the error message...

    "Unable to run the command specified. The file or folder file:///mnt/cdrom1 does not exist."

    If I use the command line and try "sudo mount /mnt/cdrom1 -w" I get the error message "mount: can't find /mnt/cdrom1 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab".

    How do I get this cdrom1 mounted?

    Thanks for any help!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205
    You could try
    Code:
    mkdir /home/knoppix/cdrom1
    sudo mount /dev/cdrom1 /home/knoppix/cdrom1
    And then check if you can see the CD at /home/knoppix/cdrom1 directory.
    If not, do you get any error-messages from mount-command?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    19

    Still no luck

    Thanks, Mailaire. I tried your code, and I get the following 2 lines of message:

    mount: block device /dev/cdrom1 is write-protected, mounting read-only
    mount: you must specify the filesystem type

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205

    Re: Still no luck

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBuild
    Thanks, Mailaire. I tried your code, and I get the following 2 lines of message:

    mount: block device /dev/cdrom1 is write-protected, mounting read-only
    mount: you must specify the filesystem type
    You could try this then. It specifies the filesystem type (iso9660 for CDs) and mounts the CD read-only.
    Code:
    mkdir /home/knoppix/cdrom1
    sudo mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/cdrom1 /home/knoppix/cdrom1
    After you stop using the CD, you should unmount it with
    Code:
    sudo umount /home/knoppix/cdrom1

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    19

    Still can't write to cdrom1

    I tried:

    sudo mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/cdrom1 /home/knoppix/cdrom1

    ...and it mounts the crdom1 for ro access. But I need to write to this drive to use it for backups. When I try:

    sudo mount -t iso9660 -o rw /dev/cdrom1 /home/knoppix/cdrom1

    ...I still get the message "mount: block device /dev/cdrom1 is write-protected, mounting read-only".

    I have a CD in the cdrom1 drive with a text file on it for testing purposes. WHen I check the properties using the K GUI I see that the permissions are grayed out and can't be accessed. For some reason Knoppix thinks this drive is a read-only device, but it is a tested and proven RW.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205

    Re: Still can't write to cdrom1

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBuild
    I tried:

    sudo mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/cdrom1 /home/knoppix/cdrom1

    ...and it mounts the crdom1 for ro access. But I need to write to this drive to use it for backups. When I try:

    sudo mount -t iso9660 -o rw /dev/cdrom1 /home/knoppix/cdrom1

    ...I still get the message "mount: block device /dev/cdrom1 is write-protected, mounting read-only".
    I have a CD in the cdrom1 drive with a text file on it for testing purposes. WHen I check the properties using the K GUI I see that the permissions are grayed out and can't be accessed. For some reason Knoppix thinks this drive is a read-only device, but it is a tested and proven RW.
    I think you can't mount CDs read-write in Linux. You need to use a cd-writing program (e.g. K3b or cdrecord) to write to CDs.
    In Knoppix you should be able to start K3b from KMenu->Multimedia->K3b (CD & DVD Burning)

Similar Threads

  1. cdrom cdrom1
    By canjohn in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-27-2006, 06:06 PM
  2. /cdrom /cdrom1, can not be mounted!
    By tsitras in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-04-2004, 02:39 PM
  3. ok...walk me through this...cdrom and cdrom1
    By Silver_Seagull in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 03:23 AM
  4. Could not create mount point '/mnt/auto/cdrom1'
    By milne in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-14-2003, 01:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly picture

Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly

$18.95



Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U picture

Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U

$159.99



Atari 850 Interface Module For ATARI 400/800 Computer Vintage Tested picture

Atari 850 Interface Module For ATARI 400/800 Computer Vintage Tested

$50.00



Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on picture

Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on

$255.00



Vintage Atari 1050 Disk Drive w/ SIO Cable & 32 Games/Programs - UNTESTED  picture

Vintage Atari 1050 Disk Drive w/ SIO Cable & 32 Games/Programs - UNTESTED

$67.76



Atari 800 130XE 65XE Color S-Video, Composite Video & Audio Cable Tested picture

Atari 800 130XE 65XE Color S-Video, Composite Video & Audio Cable Tested

$29.78



Atari 800XL Home Computer 64K RAM in Original Box 1984 Olympic Edition Untested picture

Atari 800XL Home Computer 64K RAM in Original Box 1984 Olympic Edition Untested

$149.99



GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats picture

GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats

$35.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29