Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Problem using cat to list files.

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    24

    Problem using cat to list files.

    On my resent reload of knoppix it's taking quite some time to do simple cat commands. Like when I do this: cat /var/log/syslog |tail -60
    it takes a while to actually list. I ran an updatedb. I never had this problem before even when I had 128Megs on my laptop. I'm now at 256MEGS.

    So, I'm wondering what might be causing the delay and what the linux equivalent of a scandisk/defrag is. Thanks

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    24
    Well, I noticed I only get the delay when issuing the tail command. Doesn't seem to happen when doing a regular cat. Anyways, you guys are going to make me search for how to do defrags/scandisk in linux huh.. Ok, it's either that our go to the responsive linux forums. I kid , I kid.. Or do I?

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Which do you wish to defrag - the Knoppix Live CD or the Knoppix Live DVD?
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Assuming you have enough free HD space, the linux filesystems will usually "defrag" in the background during non I/O times and will reallocate blocks of data to make the files in the filesystem contiguous. It is only when it is running out of space that it will fragment a file into non-contiguous pieces. Thus a defrag for linux filesystems is practically unnecessary and for most linux filesystems can not actually be done.
    Some starting points in investigating linux performance ... dmesg, iostat, vmstat, hdparm, bonnie, sar.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    24
    Harry, sorry I didn't make it clear that I had an HDD install. And thanks for the explaination of how the file system works for linux UnderScore. Have a good one guys.

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    That was kind of my point. You have been here since at least April so you should know your way around the forums. You are complaining about a lack of response, but you didn't even post a question about a hard disk install in the hard disk install forum.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-11-2009, 05:13 AM
  2. Small Problem: List Directory in DOS-type
    By floschi in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-21-2005, 06:45 AM
  3. knoppix sources.list repository incomplete list.
    By vdesibabu in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 05:47 PM
  4. apt problem: files list file missing
    By krix in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-29-2004, 09:39 AM
  5. problem with copying files
    By jc01 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-04-2004, 08:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



Yealink SIP Phone T85W picture

Yealink SIP Phone T85W

$153.99



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Cisco/Linksys SPA2102 VoIP Phone Adapter Router 2FXS (Unlocked) picture

Cisco/Linksys SPA2102 VoIP Phone Adapter Router 2FXS (Unlocked)

$17.99



Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth picture

Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth

$49.95



Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included picture

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included

$27.99