Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: About Accesing Windows XP Files from live cd

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2

    About Accesing Windows XP Files from live cd

    Ok, so I Have win XP on a partition. I want to rename a file, that way instead of opening logon.src it would open cmd (that way I can have access to the command line prompt) because my friend forgot his password and I want to reset it.

    If I do that, is there a chance of damaging files or something worse to my Windows XP?

    I am using Knoppix Live CD 3.x. How do I access my windows partition files when booting with the live cd?

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: About Accesing Windows XP Files from live cd

    Quote Originally Posted by bicho
    If I do that, is there a chance of damaging files or something worse to my Windows XP?
    Yes, a good chance, if you manage to do it at all. See answer #6.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2
    How do I access Windows Files if I can't access them?

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    See answer #6.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    120

    Re: About Accesing Windows XP Files from live cd

    Quote Originally Posted by bicho
    because my friend forgot his password and I want to reset it.
    just use the password reset disk: http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    117
    I believe Knoppix and subsequent developers of rescue type Knoppix spin-offs (such as INSERT) anticipated just such a scenario like yours, that is, using Knoppix as a rescue disk to reset NT passwords.

    See for example Hack #75 in the Oreilly book "Knoppix Hacks" which explains the steps.
    http://hacks.oreilly.com/pub/ht/124

    An expanded explanation is here:
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/...s_with_Knoppix

    Now, to do the above, you are going to have to activate Knoppix's NTFS write capability. Not everyone is going to agree that it is safe. I have done my trials, and believe it is good enough for rescue purposes, which is what I will use Knoppix mainly for. This is because in a rescue situation, it is often a case of taking a risk, or else lose everything by doing nothing. If you want to be cautious (I am), image the XP partition before fiddling with it.

    Best of luck. And if you succeed, come back and tell us about your experience.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5

    How to get files from SATA HDD?

    Please refer to the data in
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25034

    Cannot access my SATA disk

Similar Threads

  1. Windows XP LIVE CD?
    By spanspace in forum Other Live CDs
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-20-2007, 11:02 PM
  2. [Apache] Problem accesing it from another pc
    By ianmurrays in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-21-2005, 10:34 PM
  3. help...i can't see some of my windows files.
    By blue_sky in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-30-2005, 11:09 AM
  4. using windows files
    By dpdpdp in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-17-2004, 10:39 AM
  5. Saving files to HD from live CD
    By millennia in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-05-2004, 11:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$282.00



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



SAMSUNG FIT PLUS 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - fully working & authentic picture

SAMSUNG FIT PLUS 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - fully working & authentic

$24.95



FLASHFORGE 3D Printer AD5X Multi-Color IFS Auto Refill High Speed Printing US picture

FLASHFORGE 3D Printer AD5X Multi-Color IFS Auto Refill High Speed Printing US

$349.00