Try to open the root terminal and type:
cp /path/to/filename /mnt/yourHD
If that works, at least root has rw priviledges....
O.K. I've read the FAQ and every related post that i could find and am still having trouble writing to my hard drive.
I've tried several approaches from the desktop and/or command line and here's the best i can come up with.
If I place the cursor over the icon I see;
"Permissions: -rw-rw-rw", which I take to be read write permissions for owner, group and others.
Also, i see correct device and nount points.
"File System: auto" i'm not sure what to make of this, the HD is FAT 32.
and
"Writable: Yes"
And yet I cannot write to it.
If I right click on the HD icon and bring up the "Properties" dialog I get all the right answers there too; "Read only" unchecked under 'Device', "Can read and Write" for owner group and other under 'Permissions' and the 'Advanced permissions' shows read and write for all three cases as well.
If, however, I try dragging a file to the disk icon and select 'Copy Here' I get "Access denied'.
Also, if i right click on any of the HD drive directories,from within "Konqueror", and bring up the "propeerties" dialog it is clear that I do not have the same permisions previousely indicated nor am I allowed to alter them via the dialog box.
I've spared you the details of my command line experiences because the disparity between the 'icon' and 'directory' indicated permissions says it all, as near as I can tell.
Thanks for taking the time to read this and I will be very gratefull for any assistance offered,
dave
Try to open the root terminal and type:
cp /path/to/filename /mnt/yourHD
If that works, at least root has rw priviledges....
Thanks for the reply,
"cp /mnt/sda1/Addington.rtf /mnt/hdc1/Addington.rtf"
elicits"cp: cannot create regular file 'mnt/.. ' : Read-only file system
'sda1' is a USB thumb device that i have been able to write to.
Hmmm, just now, I'm having trouble remounting the hard drive.
rebooting
"Read-only file system" problem should be solved by remounting it as read-write:Originally Posted by Curious Dave
Code:sudo mount -o remount,rw /mnt/sda1
You can also simply right-click the partition and select 'change read/write mode'
then simply click on make this partition writable.
Does the trick 99% of the time![]()

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)
$1599.95
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
HP ProLiant DL380 Gen 9 - 2x Intel Xeon 2nd Gen - 320GB - 3x 147GB HDD
$2000.00
Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2144G 3.6GHz 16GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$149.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00
HP ProLiant DL380 Gen 9 - 2x Intel Xeon 2nd Gen - 160 GB DDR4 - 3x147 GB HDD
$2000.00
RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2022 50 User/Device Connections
$68.00
Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99