-
Problem Booting
I have just created a boot disk of knoppix v5.0.1. I tested it in my computer before lendig it to my brother and everything was fine. However, when he booted from it, it froze. First there was the screen that asks if you want to boot into knoppix (if you do press enter). After you press enter, there was a black screen with two of the linux penguins things in the top left corner. You are unable to reboot through ctrl+alt+del, and it seems everything is froze. Any help could be appreciated.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
1) Was the disk burnt too fast (which often results in it working on some systems but not others)?
2) Your brother's systems may well need some cheat codes to help it past the boot process. Other than the 2 penguins telling us this is a dual CPU or at least a hyperthreading system we really don't know anything about the system to make suggestions about which codes to try, but see the cheat codes section of the wiki (follow the documentation link near the top of this page) and look for things to try. Booting in failsafe mode and in expert mode may also help you learn just what hardware conflict there is, if this is the issue.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
thanks a lot for your help. I booted into expert mode and i got the following error
Code:
ide: failed opcode was: 0xde
hdb:<4>hdb: lost interrupt
hdb: lost interrupt
"" "" ""
I tried booting into failsafe, and the same thing happend.
You were right about the hyperthreading. 2 sticks of viking 1gig ram. Pentium 4 2.4 ghz. it is an abit motherboard IS-10/11/12.
I hope this helps. thanks
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
I have no experience with such hadware. I'll throw in a common fix, try the knoppix nodma cheat code, but if that doesn't do the trick then I hope others may join in with their suggestions.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
I go with Harry, Option 1).
From what I've seen, either Tux or no Tux... but you have TWINS!! congrats 
use your bros computer to burn the disk.
Harry, I notice you say this alot, your a good man
I'm wondering if a cheap cd brand might be an issue here as well...
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
Zrebel
I'm wondering if a cheap cd brand might be an issue here as well...
CD quality can certainly be an issue, particularly with a bad batch of media. But cost and quality in my experience are pretty unrelated. I have gotten very good cd and dvd media cheap, even free. I've paid a lot for media that I wish I did't buy (and for dvds I only use the remaining media on things I don't really care about and when I have the time to make a few coasters before I get a good burn). And I as well as a friend have had extremely bad results with expensive Sony CDs, different batches and even product codes have fogged up on me like frost on a window. In some cases this was before I ever opened the media, in other cases after I saved important data that I wanted to keep to the disc. I have lots of these, the Sony warranty is completely useless, and I will never buy another Sony disc again. But thy are not cheap and some people swear by them. See this image if you want to view what I'm talking about:
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/2560/sonycdr7pb.jpg
If you're doing a burn with software like Nero 6 that has a verify option this should always be enabled. It will not catch the evils of a high speed burn and it likely will not catch all media quality issues either, but it does catch many cases of bad media. And when making additional burns, it's always a good idea to try different media, and a different burner if another is available.
Similar Threads
-
By noScape in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-29-2007, 01:38 PM
-
By Ifrit in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-03-2006, 01:04 PM
-
By JUSTiNB in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-07-2005, 05:52 AM
-
By balakrishnan in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-10-2005, 06:34 AM
-
By REMslug in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-26-2004, 05:07 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF
$435.99

Lenovo ThinkCentre M710Q Micro Intel Core i5-7500T 2.7GHz 8GB RAM No AC/HDD/OS
$69.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14S Gen 1 8-Core 4750U 1.70 GHz 512 GB SSD 16 GB RAM Win11Pro
$240.00

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$189.00

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

Dell - XPS 13.4" 3K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 5 Series 3 320 2026 - 8GB...
$599.99

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (LGA 1151)
$189.99

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good
$464.99

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS
$259.98

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00