-
Junior Member
registered user
How do I tell which kind of file system a hdd has in Knoppix
I've got viruses up the yin yang on my C drive for windows, so I'd like to use knoppix to clean it. I got f-prot working and all, but I'd like to have it clean it too. I've read it's unsafe to do this with NFTS but ok with FAT so I just want to know how to check which my C drive is in knoppix. I've tried right clicking and choosing properties but that doesn't work.
-
Senior Member
registered user
1) Mount the partition
If I remember correctly, this is simply a left-click on the partition's
icon; it should show a green "LED" afterwards.
If that doesn't work, open a console and type
<almost code>
mount -o ro -t xxx /dev/hdyz
</almost code>
Substitute "yz" with the appropriate value for disk and partition
(probably "a1") and "xxx" with "vfat" or "ntfs". A successful
operation should tell you the filesystem type. Oops, I assume too
much: should your disk be SCSI (or SATA) substitute an "s" for the "h".
2) Once the partition is mounted, type in a console
<code>
mount
</code>
All mounted partitions will be shown along with their types.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Thanks for the help.
-
Junior Member
registered user
It's actually even easier than that. You can see this information by an fdisk listing. Once you're in Knoppix, open the X terminal by clicking on Konsole (you're obviously this far anyway, but just for completeness).
In the terminal, type in the command This switches you to superuser, which you need to run fdisk. Now enter the command You should get a listing that looks similar to this output that I pulled from Google (note that in this case the df command was also used):
Code:
# fdisk -l
Disk /dev/hda: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes
16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 77545 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 1 8625 4346968+ b W95 FAT32
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/hda2 * 8626 60915 26354160 7 HPFS/NTFS
Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/hda3 60916 61118 102312 83 Linux
Partition 3 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/hda4 61119 77545 8279208 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
Partition 4 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/hda5 61119 76505 7755016+ 83 Linux
/dev/hda6 76506 77545 524128+ 82 Linux swap
# df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda5 7633264 6928080 317436 96% /
/dev/hda3 99075 24602 69358 27% /boot
none 124044 0 124044 0% /dev/shm
Partition /dev/hda1 (probably C:\) is formatted with FAT, and partition /dev/hda2 is formatted with NTFS (possibly D:\ or E:\ in Windows).
You can also run The -H switch provides a more readable output (MB or GB instead of 1K-blocks).
Maybe that will help anyone who does a forum search in the future.
Similar Threads
-
By insolit in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-04-2006, 01:08 AM
-
By Spool32 in forum Laptops
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-18-2004, 08:26 PM
-
By MR.Error in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-27-2004, 06:58 AM
-
By newknoppixguy in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-29-2004, 09:08 PM
-
By freyley in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-31-2003, 09:21 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99