There seem to be some people who are having more than the normal problems with version 5.0.1, so this may or may not help you, but start with answer #6.
I'm using knoppix ona Sony vaio and it won't let me copy and files or create
any folders on my thumb drive, usb drive or on the internal hard drive. It lets me
open the files but it doesnt lety me copy them or anything. Im trying to fix my sisters laptop and i need to back up the files
using knoppix but i cant copy them. I just get an error message for each file. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
There seem to be some people who are having more than the normal problems with version 5.0.1, so this may or may not help you, but start with answer #6.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
I am attempting to back up my lap top's hard drive (either it or my OS has crashed).
I have an external, USB hard drive, which Knoppix detects, and I am able to alter its priveledges. However, there is no icon on the Knoppix destop, besides my external drive, that would indicate the hard drive of the lap top has been detected. Does this mean that my hard drive is beyond recovery? Is there any way I can mount my internal hard drive, or force Knoppix to detect it?
I should mention that my Vaio gives me a warning that a hard drive failure is imminent.
I am using knoppix 5.0
Any helpful comments would be appreciated

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99
1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10
Wholesale Sale 10/ 30/ 50/100pcs 256MB Metal Swivel USB Flash Drive Memory Stick
$165.90
Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB
$236.00
USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47
LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80
Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$99.00
128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99