-
Junior Member
registered user
Knoppix for 64 bit computers.
Hi,
Will Knoppix 4 is designed for 32 bit pcs only or will it runs on 64bit ones too such as an AMD .
Or is there separate versions for both??
-
Senior Member
registered user
ku637,
First of all, I used to run Knoppix, but, am now running Kanotix. (which is an "off-shoot" of Knoppix)
I have a AMD64 system, it was purchased when I realized that Kanotix had a 64bit OS version, this was way back at the beginning of 2005. Kanotix, has since, not progressed the releases of the 64bit OS version, but, rather, continued releasing updates to the 32bit versions. At current, Kanotix is at release 2005-04 rc19, and plans, as it appears, yet one more release, in less than a gew weeks, one last update for this year - 2005-04 rc20.
I have both a 32bit AMD and a 64bit AMD system, one is running on Kanotix (very early OS version), and the 64bit AMD is -currently- running at 2005-04 rc17 (32bit version OS)
The AMD64, from what I have heard, is a 32bit processor, with "extensions" added to it, to make it a 64bit processor. It will run 32bit as well as 64bit. Kanotix 2005-04 RC17 is a 32bit OS, (Linux), and it is running perfectly fine on my AMD64, with out a hitch.
Also, from what I hear, OpenOffice, xine, kaffeine, gimp, etc... run better on a 32bit OS, than they do on a 64bit, even if the processor is a 64bit one. Not sure if Knoppix is going to fly the same as Kanotix, here, but, my guess is, having a 64bit processor is nice, but, "I" feel like, I spent more money than "I" needed to, and not much is going to be done for it -=- Thank GOD is can also be a 32bit !
I have not "noticed" any ill-effects of running a 32bit OS with a 64bit processor.
Again, I am not "in" with the crowd that "develops", so, I cant speak for "where Knoppix", or for that matter, "where Kanotix", "is going" - but, IMHO, my guess is, 32bit is around to stay, and 64bit, if you have it, is just a "pricey" luxury... at the moment.
Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles
-
Senior Member
registered user
Except the next release of Microsoft's Windows OS will be 64 bit enabled out of the box and many computers are shipping from the factory with 64 bit CPUs in them. As soon as Vista comes out, 64 bit will EXPLODE. It's in pre-big-bang stages right now, but expect to see a lot of development in the x64 arena very soon. I'm an early adopter, and I'm glad I'm running the right hardware for the future.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Similar Threads
-
By wannessmet in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-31-2008, 07:05 PM
-
By Aspra in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-31-2006, 06:36 PM
-
By ryancw in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-11-2006, 04:25 AM
-
By stimz in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-22-2004, 09:04 PM
-
By Joakim Nordberg in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-04-2003, 10:23 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

LENOVO THINKPAD T14 GEN 2i CORE I7-11165G7 2.8GHZ 16GB 256 SSD WCAM WI1 CORD
$250.00

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$334.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 6 14" 16GB, Storm Gray
$356.80

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070
$1469.00

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14" 16GB 512GB, Black
$313.00

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 1 14.0" 16GB 512GB, BLACK
$285.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50