Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Dell Inspiron 1100 - 5.0.1 - display size

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5

    Dell Inspiron 1100 - 5.0.1 - display size



    With 5.0.1 the display is not full size, and centered on the screen. However with 4.0.2 it fills the screen ok. I can see that the video file (xfree86??) when running, is different in the two versions. If there is a cheat fix I can use it personally and that would be sort of ok, but my real problem is that I use knoppix as a demo CD in an Open Source 'Infopoint' display etc at computer fairs. I suspect the Inspiron has something unusual with the way its video ram gets reported to the bios or something, but it is (was) a major product line, and 5.0.1 is no longer a good demo for me. Is this problem only on inspiron 1100's?

    Anyone - any suggestions please? Any chance of this being fixed in the next version?
    tia

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1
    This is an identical problem that I have with my Inspirion 1100. I love KNOPPIX and I was really excited to have the 5.1 version. However, I get a small screen and blue pinstripe vertical lines on the screen. The program itself works wonderfully otherwise. I have no idea what a cheat is. I'm extremely new to this and I really don't understand the technical stuff yet. I need help in plain English - step by step like. Thanks.

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by penguine5
    I have no idea what a cheat is.
    Boot parameters that help or bypass the hhardware detection routines at boot time. Follow the documentation link near the top of this page and read the wiki section on cheat codes. Type f2 as Knoppix boots at the first prompt for some limited info (but the wiki article is more detailed).
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5

    Re: Dell Inspiron 1100 - 5.0.1 - display size

    Quote Originally Posted by candtalan

    With 5.0.1 the display is not full size, and centered on the screen. However with 4.0.2 it fills the screen ok. I can see that the video file (xfree86??) when running, is different in the two versions. If there is a cheat fix I can use it personally and that would be sort of ok, but my real problem is that I use knoppix as a demo CD in an Open Source 'Infopoint' display etc at computer fairs. I suspect the Inspiron has something unusual with the way its video ram gets reported to the bios or something, but it is (was) a major product line, and 5.0.1 is no longer a good demo for me. Is this problem only on inspiron 1100's?
    Solution:
    I used this boot entry:
    boot: knoppix xmodule=i810
    and it WORKS!

    Details:
    ==================================================
    ==================================================
    Dell Inspiron 1100 (Bios revision A92)
    Knoppix 5.0.1
    (Note this procedure was not needed for knoppix 4.0.2, which used xfree86 not xorg)

    Original posting:
    Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:58 pm
    Dell Inspiron 1100 - 5.0.1 - display size
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24847

    and a reply from penguine5 Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:03 am
    with the same problem,

    followed by a reply from Harry Kuhman (moderator)
    mentioning the wiki

    The wiki:
    http://www.cwelug.org/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi?HomePage
    and for this problem, specifically the section:
    Knoppix/BootProcess
    http://www.cwelug.org/cgi-bin/wiki.c...otProcess#tip4
    [Testing various xmodule= cheatcodes quickly]

    particular useful extract:
    When Knoppix finish booting, change to VC 1
    with Ctrl-Alt-F1 and enter runlevel 3 with 'init 3'.
    To see what driver Knoppix used, type:
    grep -i driver /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

    When I gave this a try, the response I saw with my Dell Inspiron 1100
    (bios revision A29) was:
    i810
    (which seems to be the driver I needed knoppix to run).
    So I took the hint from a wiki entry:
    'Once you find one that works better than what Knoppix guessed, you can use it at the boot prompt like so:
    boot: knoppix xmodule=fbdev'

    In my case the driver was i810, not fbdev
    ==================================================
    ==================================================
    hth

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    120
    update your bios from the dell site.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-18-2005, 10:08 PM
  2. Knoppix 3.6 on Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop
    By jimeee in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-03-2004, 10:04 PM
  3. Knoppix on Dell Inspiron 1100..yahooo!
    By linuxprince in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-31-2004, 07:43 PM
  4. D-Link DWL-650 and Dell Inspiron 1100
    By Billabong9305 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:40 PM
  5. Dell Inspiron 1100 Resolution
    By melknin in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-09-2004, 04:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$149.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852 picture

Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852

$559.00



IBM SERVER SLED WITH HDD SCSI 8.8GB ,P005043441, AS IS,UNTESTED picture

IBM SERVER SLED WITH HDD SCSI 8.8GB ,P005043441, AS IS,UNTESTED

$165.00



IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive

$200.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A picture

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A

$1731.00



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$250.00