-
Administrator
Site Admin-
We have a section in the wiki about wireless networking, although contributions to it have be, to put it kindly, "light". In my own experience the one wireless NIC that I have that worked under 4.02 (a Belkin 802.11b pcmcia card) no longer seems to work with 5.0.1 (it's apparently recognized but I can't convince the software to set it up and use it.
I also have two D-link DWL-650 Rev M 802.1b pcmcia cards, but Knoppix has never worked with them. Same for a Belkin 802.11g card. The strange thing is that I'm finding some other Linux distros work with these cards. Ubunto recognized the DWL-650s and even picked my SSID out of thin air (literally), all I had to do was set up my encryption key and I was good to go. And interestingly enough Ubuntu identified the chipset as a Realtek RK8180L, and this seems to be a highly recommended chipset for Linux wifi nics, but D-link shows no Linux driver for it and Knoppix ignores it. And unfortunately there isn't much software available on the Ubuntu Live CD (and strangely the Ubuntu Live DVD seems to have exactly the same software installed as the Live CD, nothing more!)
I have also come across a Live CD recently that reciognizes the above 802.11g card that Knoppix doesn't, although I forget which. Might have been Mandirva or Puppy Linux.
So sadly I can't recommend a card, both because manufacturers have discontinued many of the 802.11b cards that used to work, and because the too often release cards with different chipsets under the same model number, and because the current Knoppix is failing even on some cards that did work in the past.
Similar Threads
-
By furinto in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-14-2007, 11:45 PM
-
By rohitjava in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-13-2006, 12:44 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1
$56.99

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE
$214.99

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive
$39.99

Gigabyte 1TB 2280 SSD Solid State Drive AG450E1024-Sl, 27107-1TB15-P70S
$99.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Samsung SSD, v-nand,860 EVO, 500gb, model MZ-76E500, SATA III, Health 90-98%
$50.00

Samsung 850 EVO MZ-75E250 250 GB 2.5 in SATA III Solid State Drive
$24.99

KingFast F10 256GB 2.5” SATA III SSD Tested Working 2710DCS23BF-256
$22.89

KingSpec SSD 2.5" SATA3 Internal Solid State Drive for PC,Laptop,Mac
$60.00

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99