Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Please help a complete newbie booting off a DVD =(

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2

    Please help a complete newbie booting off a DVD =(

    Sorry guys not only am I new to linux, I've never booted from a DVD before. I downloaded Knoppix V5.0 from the BitTorrent site and burned it to a DVD via Nero. I tried to burn it as an ISo, but it gave me an error saying it cannot burn ISO's over 2 gigs? It told me to burn it as a UDF which is what I did. I then rebooted, entered Bios, and changed the order to boot from CD-Rom before HDD (with the DVD in the drive) but thennothing happened, and Windows loaded as usual. Can someone help me out with this? I've tried reading through the FAQ but don't know exactly what I should be looking for

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2
    Errr, after reading a few threads I tried burning the DVD at a slower speed, and everything seems to work

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    348
    Quote Originally Posted by matt topo
    I tried to burn it as an ISo, but it gave me an error saying it cannot burn ISO's over 2 gigs? It told me to burn it as a UDF which is what I did.
    That error message would mean that you tried to burn the "file" to the DVD as a data disk. You would need to "open" the ISO to burn the DVD image to disk. The information is found here: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ Be sure to pay careful attention to topic #8. Speed is also another issue. Many disks that are burned at high speeds do not work in all cases.

    Anyway, glad to see you have it resolved.

Similar Threads

  1. Complete Newbie - Is there a command to launch Linux?
    By yummy_penguin in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-17-2005, 01:33 PM
  2. Complete newbie question re Knoppix
    By MattS in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-10-2005, 10:06 PM
  3. Complete and utter newbie q. Display settings
    By 5thelephant in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-21-2004, 09:01 PM
  4. Need help for internet; complete newbie!
    By MusicLaunch in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-22-2003, 09:53 PM
  5. Newbie can't complete boot up
    By Ken in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-10-2003, 03:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km picture

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km

$15.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11 picture

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11

$149.00