Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: VERY ODD mysql error

  1. #1

    VERY ODD mysql error

    Code:
    root@box:/home/mmike# sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start
    Starting MySQL database server: mysqld...failed.
            Please take a look at the syslog.
    /usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
    error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)'
    Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' exists!

    what am I dooing wrong? am I starting it right?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205
    I get that same error with Knoppix 4.0.2 CD.
    Also, if I try sudo mysqld I get error mysqld: unknown variable 'old_passwords=1' which clearly says where the problem is.

    Solution is to comment out line "old_passwords = 1" in /etc/mysql/my.cnf and try sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start again.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by malaire
    I get that same error with Knoppix 4.0.2 CD.
    Also, if I try sudo mysqld I get error mysqld: unknown variable 'old_passwords=1' which clearly says where the problem is.

    Solution is to comment out line "old_passwords = 1" in /etc/mysql/my.cnf and try sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start again.

    THank you SOOOO much works great now!

Similar Threads

  1. php & mysql mysql_connect() error
    By davidh in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-04-2006, 11:17 PM
  2. MySQL
    By mzee in forum Knoppix DVD
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-12-2005, 08:48 AM
  3. MySQL Error
    By sniker in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-08-2004, 03:50 AM
  4. mysql Error no more ptys Hung ptys Too many connections
    By paradocs in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-18-2003, 10:13 PM
  5. [MySQL] Export a DB From PHPMyAdmin to /var/lib/mysql
    By Coume in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-06-2003, 06:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$119.00



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



New Juniper Networks EX3400-48P 48-Port PoE+ 4-Port SFP+ Ethernet Switch Sealed picture

New Juniper Networks EX3400-48P 48-Port PoE+ 4-Port SFP+ Ethernet Switch Sealed

$466.65



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed) picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)

$345.97



Juniper Networks JNP204/MX204 Universal Edge Router picture

Juniper Networks JNP204/MX204 Universal Edge Router

$8500.00



New Sealed Juniper EX4100-F-12P 12x 1GbE PoE 2x 10GbE uplinks 1 Year Warranty picture

New Sealed Juniper EX4100-F-12P 12x 1GbE PoE 2x 10GbE uplinks 1 Year Warranty

$895.00



Juniper EX4600-40F-AFO 24-Port Dual PSU Network Switch picture

Juniper EX4600-40F-AFO 24-Port Dual PSU Network Switch

$164.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97



Juniper EX2300 Unclaimed 12-Port Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12T picture

Juniper EX2300 Unclaimed 12-Port Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12T

$249.99