Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: VERY ODD mysql error

  1. #1

    VERY ODD mysql error

    Code:
    root@box:/home/mmike# sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start
    Starting MySQL database server: mysqld...failed.
            Please take a look at the syslog.
    /usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
    error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)'
    Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' exists!

    what am I dooing wrong? am I starting it right?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205
    I get that same error with Knoppix 4.0.2 CD.
    Also, if I try sudo mysqld I get error mysqld: unknown variable 'old_passwords=1' which clearly says where the problem is.

    Solution is to comment out line "old_passwords = 1" in /etc/mysql/my.cnf and try sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start again.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by malaire
    I get that same error with Knoppix 4.0.2 CD.
    Also, if I try sudo mysqld I get error mysqld: unknown variable 'old_passwords=1' which clearly says where the problem is.

    Solution is to comment out line "old_passwords = 1" in /etc/mysql/my.cnf and try sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start again.

    THank you SOOOO much works great now!

Similar Threads

  1. php & mysql mysql_connect() error
    By davidh in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-04-2006, 11:17 PM
  2. MySQL
    By mzee in forum Knoppix DVD
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-12-2005, 08:48 AM
  3. MySQL Error
    By sniker in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-08-2004, 03:50 AM
  4. mysql Error no more ptys Hung ptys Too many connections
    By paradocs in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-18-2003, 10:13 PM
  5. [MySQL] Export a DB From PHPMyAdmin to /var/lib/mysql
    By Coume in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-06-2003, 06:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$149.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A picture

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A

$1731.00



IBM X3650 M5 5462-AC1,2 X E5-2640V3 2.6GHZ 8C, 16 GB, DUAL 750W, 2 X 1TB SERVER picture

IBM X3650 M5 5462-AC1,2 X E5-2640V3 2.6GHZ 8C, 16 GB, DUAL 750W, 2 X 1TB SERVER

$349.99



IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive

$200.00



DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5415+ 8 CORE PROCESSOR 2.9 GHZ SRMGC  picture

DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5415+ 8 CORE PROCESSOR 2.9 GHZ SRMGC

$1299.00



IBM 02AN553  01LL325 IBM I/OADAPTER PCIe / PCN  Internal Server Systems Adapter picture

IBM 02AN553 01LL325 IBM I/OADAPTER PCIe / PCN Internal Server Systems Adapter

$199.99