Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Knoppix 5.1.1, what else is broken?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282

    Knoppix 5.1.1, what else is broken?

    Just installed knoppix 5.1.1 on my machine, however I was unable to get it to recognise my builtin Ethernet port.
    Motherboard is Asus P4P800 with Yukon Gigabte 10/100/1000 chipset. The problem is that knoppix 2.4.19 kernel loads
    the sk98lin module which is deprecated and has been replaced by the skge module.

    I tried removing and installing kernel modules, but could not fix this, so I have had to reload knoppix 5.0.1
    Used commands:
    rmmod sk98lin modprobe skge

    I could ping my own card with a static address, but not my router? This is strange because the default gateway was showing
    but I could not ping the router. Pinging a WAN address i.e. ping www.google.co.uk also failed, as I cannot reach the router.
    The contents of resolv.conf were fine, just dont know what was wrong.

    Previous versions of knoppix and 5.01 work fine.

    Heres the output from knoppix 5.01:

    anc@orac:~$ lspci -vv | grep Ethernet
    0000:02:05.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8001 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 13)
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Marvell 88E8001 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Asus)

    anc@orac:~$ dmesg | grep eth
    skge eth0: addr 00:0e:a6:8c:f3:16
    eth1394: eth1: IEEE-1394 IPv4 over 1394 Ethernet (fw-host0)
    skge eth0: enabling interface
    ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
    skge eth0: Link is up at 100 Mbps, full duplex, flow control tx and rx
    ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
    eth0: no IPv6 routers present



    If there is a way to get my ethernet working with knoppix 5.1.1 I wil try it. Using the live cd of knoppix 5.1.1 also

    I also know that the kdesu command is not working but using commands from the route terminal solve this.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    122
    post the output of ifconfig


    I have a suspicion

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Enfield (North London)
    Posts
    5
    This might be the same problem that I had with Knoppix 5.1.1 - look in the Networking topic - 5.1.1 Network problem with Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 + workround
    for the way that I got it to work.
    (The gigabyte motherboard has the same ethernet chip as yours)

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    Sorry my mistake.
    When I viewed the boot messages with dmesg, knoppix 5.11 configures my Firewire IEEE1394 interface as eth0, and my Yukon
    network adapter as eth1.
    Networking is simply a matter of configuring the correct interface, in my case eth1. Previous versions of knoppix and some other linux distros, enumerate eth0 as my ethernet card and eth1 as the firewire interface. This is something I will look out for in future.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 4.0.2 really broken.
    By wolfchri in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-06-2005, 04:17 PM
  2. Is /UNIONFS/etc in KNOPPIX 3.9 broken
    By knopx4me in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-09-2005, 03:34 PM
  3. Printer still broken in Knoppix 3.7(8 Dec)
    By chada in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-09-2005, 04:02 AM
  4. dial-up broken in Knoppix 3.7?
    By jjjrrr3 in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-12-2004, 04:46 AM
  5. is knoppix doc broken
    By franz29 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-31-2004, 12:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR picture

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR

$23.00



Intel SRF90 Xeon Gold 6248 2.50GHz 20 Core LGA 3647 Server CPU Processor picture

Intel SRF90 Xeon Gold 6248 2.50GHz 20 Core LGA 3647 Server CPU Processor

$55.99



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



Intel Core i7-7700 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.6 GHz Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-7700 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.6 GHz Processor LGA 1151

$39.99



Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested* picture

Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested*

$32.99



INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG picture

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG

$299.99



LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5 picture

LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5

$768.00