Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Hybrid HD install wanted

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    9

    Hybrid HD install wanted

    Hybrid:
    It seems I can principally
    1. install Knoppix as is to harddisk
    2. install as Debian, with users and stuff

    What I'd like to do is a hybrid:
    1. install Knoppix to harddisk (USB) as Knoppix; that is with full Knoppix hardware recognition
    2. which boots to a Debian- or Debian-like setup; that is: with users and stuff

    Reason:
    I find it even more intriguing to plug a USB harddisk to almost any machine and boot:
    1. with full Knoppix hardware recognition and setup
    2. running a system with users

    So, instead of carrying about my notebook, I just carry the harddisk. And I have a tailored install, setup, you-name-it compared with a generic Knoppix install.
    But then I need full hardware detection; X configuration *and* users; a /home/ that is mounted.
    I am aware of persitent /home/; yes; but that's not what I want: no users, no logon-screen, no apt-get, no Debian !

    Any chance ? Any hint ?

    Thanks,

    Uwe

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    For a start, try looking at DSL (Damn Small Linux) and it's USB device install option. I think it does what you are looking for, but I've found that many computers that say they support USB booting don't quite boot it. If you can boot DSL then you might want to just stick with that, or you might be able to apply what you learn there to a Knoppix install in the same style. I can't offer more, as I've never got a USB boot to work on my system. And I think I have seen some discussion of Knoppix style installs to USB devices in these forums, but I can't give you a link, you'll just have to search for then if you want them.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    9
    Thanks, Harry.
    Was I not clear ? Did I fail to bring it to the point ?
    Whatever .... .
    Yes, I used DSL. Yes, I did a few Knoppix-USB-installs. Yes, they boot for me on various machines.
    My latest efforts used 5.0.1, and I installed directly to /dev/sda (that is: USB harddisk), and everything went smoothly; reboot; without any further action at all.

    Once again: I manage to get the Knoppix to USB, boot. Either the Knoppix that is on the CD, or a Debian-Knoppix with users, but less of hardware detection. For example X: Somehow the Debian-Knoppix has written the xorg.conf, and when I plug the USB harddisk to another machine, X won't start.

    Question to the experts: Is it possible to kind of two-step the boot process ? Is it possible to bootstrap the Debian-install with a native Knoppix boot ? Where the native boot detects hardware, creates conf files and writes those to the Debian-install to be used ?

    Thanks, and sorry for my unclear wording.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    4

    HD install on CF in hybrid form wanted

    I would like to have a hd install on my CF flash ( attached by IDE-CF adapter). But due to the number of limited writes on a CF card, I would like to use unionfs to aleaviate the wear and tear on the CF card.

    Does the HD install still possess unionfs in the kernel modules?

    I want to still use the root path as read-only and tmpfs for read-write .. like live cds. However, I would like to merge the tmpfs into the compact flash root path on shutdown... or as a maintainance procedure of system resources need freed up.

    Any advice insights and experience in using knoppix (or another) distribution in this way is greatly appreciated.

    Rick

Similar Threads

  1. Has This Been Tried? Hybrid DOS/Knoppix DVD?
    By sakiZ in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-08-2005, 05:23 PM
  2. XP / Knoppix hybrid: How to reinstall XP?
    By Josh83 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-01-2005, 02:29 PM
  3. ircd hybrid 7 on knoppix?
    By morter in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-02-2004, 10:59 PM
  4. Knoppix should not be a hybrid
    By john_h in forum Ideas
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-04-2003, 11:47 PM
  5. Cd Label Wanted
    By completenewbie in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-01-2003, 06:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



MSI B460m-Bomber LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen B460 M-ATX Intel Motherboard picture

MSI B460m-Bomber LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen B460 M-ATX Intel Motherboard

$59.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW

$121.45



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.99



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU

$45.00



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99