Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Only primary partition for HD install?

  1. #1

    Only primary partition for HD install?

    Hi all,
    I just read in the "Hd Install HowTo" that I should
    ' ... Be sure the root partition is among the first 4 partitions on the drive, formatted with ext2 or ext3, and is set to "active." ...'
    I did a HD install quite some time ago (Knoppix V3.8 ) and it's root partition *is* in fact located on a logical partition (i.e. hdb13) and works flawlessly.

    Is this a new constraint? What are the issues with installing on a logical partition (if any)?

    The point is that I do not want to change the partition table, KNOPPIX is only intended to be used for a couple of weeks, after that I'm going to install a "real" HD distro, but I do not have time for this now, but as I need additional SW I do need the HD install.

    Any hints?

    Greetings & cheers
    wolfgang

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Noosphere
    Posts
    4
    I have Knoppix 5.01 running off a logical partition (sda5) without problems. It's odd that the HowTo says "formatted with ext2 or ext3" when the default filesystem with the current installer is Reiserfs. But my install is on ext3.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by linookser
    I have Knoppix 5.01 running off a logical partition (sda5) without problems. It's odd that the HowTo says "formatted with ext2 or ext3" when the default filesystem with the current installer is Reiserfs. But my install is on ext3.
    Thanks, so it just seems that the HOWTO is out of date. So I'm going to just try it out...

Similar Threads

  1. Primary slave hdd not being recognized...
    By yoyall in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-04-2005, 06:35 PM
  2. No Primary Hard Drive
    By tgjb007 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-15-2005, 02:18 AM
  3. How do i set the Lilo to the MBR of my primary master HDD?
    By Dryfter in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-24-2005, 07:44 PM
  4. Install knoppix to primary slave
    By Jakykong in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 12:10 AM
  5. How can i WRITE to HDA1 (primary ntfs partition)????
    By XeoNoX in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-21-2004, 05:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed) picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)

$361.91



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper JNP-FAN-2RU Fan Tray MX304 Router Open Box DFPC0880B2GY017 picture

Juniper JNP-FAN-2RU Fan Tray MX304 Router Open Box DFPC0880B2GY017

$650.00



Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC picture

Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC

$10499.99



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic

$71.87



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99