Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: knoppix 5.0 - how to add volume control to taskbar

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15

    knoppix 5.0 - how to add volume control to taskbar

    I just installed knoppix to my harddrive for the first time. When I try to run a soundcard configuration it says I don't seem to be running a kernel with modular sound enabled. The sound works on instant messaging and media files but the volume is very loud. I'm guessing if I could fix this it would detect my sound and it would add a volume button ot the taskbar or something.

    Almost any assistance would be great. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15
    ok.. wrong forum then? maybe someone should move this or something.


    annnny help at all please.

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by tymlls05
    ok.. wrong forum then? maybe someone should move this or something.
    You've "installed" knoppix, it's in the proper place.

    Yes, I've noticed that the people who think installing Knoppix is a good idea don't seem to rush to help when the inevidable problems come up. I don't believe that it's a good (or even rational) idea, but I've posted plenty of warnings about it, I don't rush to tell everyone who wants to attempt it not to. Even with real intended for hard disk Debian installs I've had soundcard issues that I can't resolve with some old very common ISA soundcards (SoundBlaster 16 pnp for example), so I certainly can't help you with a Knoppix "install". Sorry.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15
    Well, it's no major issue. This is just 2 computers I had that were running 98 that I combined into one computer using whatever I thought had the better parts. I ran xp on it until the trial went out. I'm not ruining a new computer with knoppix. lol. It's fun to play with and try to learn linux, and I can hear the sound. I was just seeing, when I have bugs like this come up if their are scripts I can run or something I could download.

    Thanks for the reply.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Noosphere
    Posts
    4
    I'm currently running Knoppix 5.01 on hard drive on a 6 month old computer (alonside side another distro) and on an older one. I haven't had problems with sound. Have you tried running Kmix or another mixer like alsamixer, to adjust volume levels? Or can you adjust the volume level on the speakers themselves? It doesn't seem like you need to configure sound since it's working. You just need to adjust the mixer settings.

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix 6.2 and eee-control
    By jtouso in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-18-2009, 05:40 PM
  2. Inspiron 6000d volume control
    By jacksonon in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-17-2005, 01:59 AM
  3. The taskbar won't flash in KDE
    By champagnemojo in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-27-2003, 04:25 AM
  4. TURN THAT CR*P DOWN!!!!!! - KDE Volume control?
    By j.drake in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-11-2003, 07:04 AM
  5. personel dir from the taskbar is from user knoppix?
    By raymond in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-08-2003, 11:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Apple IIe Vintage Home Computer System Model A2S2064 MPN A2S2064 picture

Apple IIe Vintage Home Computer System Model A2S2064 MPN A2S2064

$105.00



Vintage Apple iMac G4 15

Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers

$300.00



Apple Computer cards VTG 670-8020-B  607-0103-C  607-0291-C AST -Orange Micro ++ picture

Apple Computer cards VTG 670-8020-B 607-0103-C 607-0291-C AST -Orange Micro ++

$169.00



PowerBook Duo 210 vintage laptop picture

PowerBook Duo 210 vintage laptop

$120.00



Lot of 3 VIntage  Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS picture

Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS

$7.00



Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed picture

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed

$69.95



Vintage 1984 Apple Macintosh MacWrite & MacPaint Boxed Set - Near Complete picture

Vintage 1984 Apple Macintosh MacWrite & MacPaint Boxed Set - Near Complete

$125.00



256k VRAM Vintage Apple Macintosh replaces 670-0269 Quadra 630-0044 80ns QTY: 2 picture

256k VRAM Vintage Apple Macintosh replaces 670-0269 Quadra 630-0044 80ns QTY: 2

$76.20



VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor picture

VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor

$250.00



Vintage Apple Color RGB Color Monitor A2M6014. Used. picture

Vintage Apple Color RGB Color Monitor A2M6014. Used.

$199.99