-
Can't mount NTFS hard drive under 5.0.1
Hi,
I've just done a PMI of 5.0.1, and can't now mount my Windows XP NTFS partitions (I only want read access, which I could do with 4.0.2).
When I click on the drive icon, I get the following error message:
Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
fuse: failed to exec fusermount: Permission denied
fuse_mount failed.
Unmounting /dev/hda5
I'm assuming that fuse is a new package in 5.0.1 - any suggestions as to what I need to do to mount these NTFS partitions?
Thanks,
Mike
-
OK, so I can mount the NTFS partition as root in the console, and then click on the desktop icon to open a directory viewer, but I wanted to be able to just click on the icon (as I could under 4.0.2 and still can for FAT partitions).
Is there anything I can do to set permissions, e.g., in /etc/fstab, so that each time I start Knoppix I can access the NTFS partition from the desktop?
Thanks in advance,
Mike
-
Senior Member
registered user
Can't mount NTFS hard drive under 5.0.1
This is the entry I created in my fstab:
/dev/hdb5 /media/hdb5 ntfs noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0
(obviously change hdb5 to wherever your ntfs partition is)
It seems to work for me. Click on icon = mount ntfs read only. Right-click gives an option to change to read/write mode.
Do let me know if it works for you.
Regards.
-
Hi Jacky,
This is essentially what I've already got in fstab, only difference being '/media/hda5' as opposed to '/mnt/hda5' (my partition is hda5).
Changed it, but got same error message.
Mike
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hi,
My ntfs click-and-read capability worked "right out of cd toaster" more or less. However, I have managed to replicate your error messages. The errors come when the user group (which in my case is called "knoppix" in group "fuse") does not have execute permission for the command /usr/bin/fusermount.
By default, fusermount needs these permissions:
owner(i.e. root)=r,w,x, setuid
group(fuse)=r, x
others=
Something must have happened during your PMI, so if the permissions are not as above, try changing them back e.g. In a root console: chmod u=rwxs,g=rx /usr/bin/fusermount
Then check that the user knoppix is a member of the fuse group and if not add him to the group. You can do this with KUser from the System menu. Find user knoppix or whatever your user name is, click on the name and you can check which groups he is in. Leave the entries in fstab as they are since they look the same as my fstab which works.
I am also adding a link to this useful page with various ntfsmount error messages:
http://<a href="http://wiki.linux-nt...=ntfsmount</a>
The examples on this webpage are not exactly the same as your error messages. I only managed to get the exact error message when I removed execute permission from group with e.g. chmod g=r /usr/bin/fusermount
Regards.
-
Jacky,
Your description of permissions and groups put me on the right track.
Looking at the permissions for /usr/bin/fusermount, I discovered that owner = root, but group = 128, a non-existent group (verified by KUser), and as knoppix is not a member of this group, this is why I was getting the error message. (Something must have got corrupted on install.)
Changing group to fuse (with chgrp) solved the problem.
Thanks for your help.
Mike
-
Junior Member
registered user
I had the same problem. I fix it.
See this post, to know how I fix.
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...487&highlight=
-
Total Newb Needs Your Help
My Windows XP machines crashed and won't boot and so I'm trying to use Knoppix 5.0.1 to salvage some files -(I don't need to write to my hard drive, just want to copy files over). But I'm also having problems mounting my hard drive --I keep getting this error message:
Failed to load $MFT: input/output error
Failed to startup volume: input/output error
Couldn't mount device '/dev/hda1': input/output error
Mount failed
Please check that the device is plugged correctly
I've confirmed that the drive is securely plugged into my motherboard. Any help is greatly appreciated.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Total Newb Needs Your Help

Originally Posted by
ZenMaster
Any help is greatly appreciated.
See answers #7 and #5.
-
Re: Total Newb Needs Your Help

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman
If I understand correctly, answer #7 points to some issue with the subject line. If that's the case, I apologize for the confusion -- I posted under the original post title of "Can't mount NTFS hard drive under 5.0.1" and only added my own subtitle of "Total Newb Needs Your Help" as an addendum.
Answer #5 points me to the Rescue FAQ, which I actually did read already but did not mention that I did so. If it matters, I also read http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/ and http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...obg-SysRecover. They all provided useful information, but unless I completely missed it, none seemed to addressed my specific issue -- a failure to mount my NTFS drive with the specific error messages that I described.
Please let me know if there are other resources I've missed or further information I can provide in order for someone to give me a suggestion on what to do next. Thanks again.
Similar Threads
-
By couverman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-02-2007, 06:13 AM
-
By Explorer2 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 06-22-2006, 03:40 PM
-
By dcleghorn in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-02-2006, 10:46 PM
-
By itaydagani in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-02-2005, 12:53 AM
-
By kidsatacrux in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 19
Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:41 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK
$169.95

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$288.19

Hynix & Samsun (Lot Of 36) 4GB 2Rx8 PC3L-10600R DDR3 Server Memory 144GB Total
$120.00

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G9E2 MICRON 32GB (1X32GB) 2RX4 PC4-2933Y MEMORY
$229.00

Hynix 8x 8GB DDR4 1Rx8 PC4-2400T Server Memory RDIMM HMA81GR7MFR8N-UH
$450.00

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW
$1.39

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick
$378.00