-
Knoppix as a dedicated network resource?
I was in our server room trying to figure out why our DNS machine was crapping out. Turns out that it just needed a reboot. We have several machines on our network, for instance, one is a firewall box running Smoothwall, another is an FTP/DNS machine, another is mail, and another is a webserver.
After my DNS box adventure, I thought to myself "Why can't I just master a Knoppix to do this if there's an emergency?". Put the basic stuff on there so that it functions enough to keep everyone working until we can get a hard disk replaced.
I know this may be painfully obvious but had anyone else done this or heard of it or know of any related resources? I would really like to go on vacation at some point and not worry about our network.
I asked this same question on the usenet group and the response is below..
----------
"I know PCLinuxOS allows you to use mkfsios (or something like that, please
excuse my ignorance on this command), to effectively take your currently
running system and create a liveCD/dvd that will run that same environment.
Possibly other distros (I would think this is true) allow you to do the
same.
Pretty nifty trick..... "
--------------
Is this true? I would really love to spend more time developing code
sherab
Similar Threads
-
By shougan in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 04-21-2004, 04:50 PM
-
By miazmaticdotcom in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-30-2004, 01:53 AM
-
By simone17 in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-22-2003, 05:20 AM
-
By nono in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 06-18-2003, 11:40 AM
-
By kopachev in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-27-2003, 01:36 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY
$10.00

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

Crucial 32GB(4 x 8GB) CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1 DDR4-2400 UDIMM Desktop RAM - CR352A
$89.95

Micron 16GB (2x8GB) 2Rx8 DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800U Desktop RAM
$19.99

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q
$185.00