-
Help with movie files and audio, Xine
I've used Knoppix in the past and it's always included Xine which I used to play movie files, avi wmv etc. After booting up the 5.0.1 CD I couldn't find it and can't get Kaffeine to play with audio. The video is fine on Kaffeine, but no matter what I do I can't get the audio.
I've tried changing audio codecs only for it to tell me that it can't init the codec. I've also downloaded the 'essential' codec pack and that didn't help.
Was Xine removed from this Knoppix version? It's still the associated player for AVIs. Anyone have any suggestions or help?
Thanks.
-
Well, just wanted to reply and say I got it worked out. It seems that I can't have XMMS playing MP3s and then open a AVI in Kaffeine. It just own't play the movies audio. I've never ran into that before. My questions about Xine still remain though. I like it better then Kaffeine, but I guess I'll have to adapt. Can anyone confirm if Xine is included on the Live DVD?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
Shohan
Can anyone confirm if Xine is included on the Live DVD?
I'll do better than that. On most of the mirrors (yes, the mirrors are still good for something), there are package lists for both the DVD and the CD so you can check for yourself.
-
Thanks for the help, but I actually checked the package list, funny enough. I guess I forgot to mention it, sorry.
Here's what the CD's package list has for Xine:
Code:
ii libxine1 1.1.1-1.1 the xine video/media player library, binary files
ii libxinerama1 1.0.1-4 X11 Xinerama extension library
ii playvideodisk-knoppix 0.5-3 Frontend for xine to change DVD-device on-the-fly
And for the DVD:
Code:
ii amarok-xine 1.3.9-1 xine engine for the amaroK audio player
ii libxine-dev 1.1.1-1.1 the xine video player library, development packages
ii libxine1 1.1.1-1.1 the xine video/media player library, binary files
ii libxinerama-dev 1.0.1-4 X11 Xinerama extension library (development headers)
ii libxinerama1 1.0.1-4 X11 Xinerama extension library
ii playvideodisk-knoppix 0.5-2 Frontend for xine to change DVD-device on-the-fly
ii x11proto-xinerama-dev 1.1.2-3 X11 Xinerama extension wire protocol
ii xine-ui 0.99.3-1.3 the xine video player, user interface
So unless I'm missing something I don't see where Xine is on the CD, but it's on the DVD.
-
Junior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Shohan
Thanks for the help, but I actually checked the package list, funny enough. I guess I forgot to mention it, sorry.
So unless I'm missing something I don't see where Xine is on the CD, but it's on the DVD.
I can confirm that my Knoppix v.5.0.1 CD doesn't have Xine. It's been replaced with Kaffeine.
Like you, I prefer Xine, myself, but I'll live with Kaffeine if I must.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I liked xine until I tried mplayer. Here's what I did using 4.02 dvd. Download and compile the mplayer source, including the gmplayer gui of your choice. Everything compiles fine with knoppix. Download the codecs and install same. Works fine. Handles avi's that xine won't touch. Since I have 2 cd drives, I saved the executables to a cd which I can just reload after a fresh knoppix reboot. Works great. There may be a deb file available for mplayer that might work for you but the compile worked for me.
Similar Threads
-
By jacksonon in forum The Lounge
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-29-2007, 09:35 PM
-
By chris-harry in forum The Lounge
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-16-2005, 07:50 AM
-
By turbine in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-14-2005, 08:25 AM
-
By ngs in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-04-2005, 05:03 AM
-
By appie1985 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-16-2004, 11:24 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11
$352.73

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive
$29.99