-
No internet connection w/atheros wireless
I just grabbed a copy of linux, but I've never used wireless with it before, and I really want to install it permanently on my laptop (or just be able to use it when windows gets annoying =) )
The only problem I'm having is that when I try to connect using kwifi, it finds the adapter, finds my wireless network, but I'm not getting an IP adress assigned to me for some reason. Local IP as shown in kwifi is "unavailable". Is there somthing else I should be doing? please help >.<
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Wireless support has never been great in Knoppix, and even some NICs that did work in 4.2 seems to not be working for many in 5.0.1. In addition there are many problems installing Knoppix to hard disk, one of them frequently being networking. I would advise you that there is no good reason at all to install Knoppix and that if you want a copy of Linux installed to hard disk, use one of the distros that is intended for hard disk install. For many users, particularly those who like Knoppix, Debian is a good choice, since Knoppix is actually based on Debian and you can install of all the apts included with Knoppix (and many many more) into Debian quickly and easily. This is not a ststement that Deian or any other Linux distro is the best, I'm just suggesting that you may find it a good place to start. Indeed, some other distros that get updated more frequently might have better support for your network card. But Knoppix will not have better support than Debian.
Some also suggesting installining Kanotix rather than Knoppix. While I agree completely that Kanotix addresses some of the problems that are known to exist with a Knoppix "install", I have never heard any good argument for install Katonix over Debian itself and then installing exactly the software that you want.
-
I had almost exactly the same problem with my wireless USB adapter. I got everything working and can connect to a signal fine, but no IPness for my dhcp. And so no programs could use the network. Oh well. I gave up, and am going back to cable modem and wired ethernet, which I really didn't have any complaints with anyways (other than paying for it)
-
Debian
I went to go try debian, so I downloaded and burned a debian install CD.
The installation began, and crashed at 92%, "Starting PC Card services" or somthing similar.
I have a toshiba satellite a105-s1014
I really like debian, and I've used it before on an older computer, so I want to get it installed on my laptop.
Someone help T.T
-
The installation began, and crashed at 92%, "Starting PC Card services" or somthing similar.
.
I really like debian
You haven't booted it yet.
gee, i had a look at and it is no longer tech friendly, sorry. Maybe they want you to contact them yourself... wrong direction if you ask me.
Similar Threads
-
By Cambo105 in forum Networking
Replies: 15
Last Post: 10-12-2007, 04:41 AM
-
By d_e_c_e in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-27-2006, 02:00 PM
-
By compgeek in forum Networking
Replies: 10
Last Post: 01-06-2006, 10:52 PM
-
By synal in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-13-2005, 04:02 PM
-
By ed_sumitra in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-07-2005, 02:28 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$334.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo Thinkbook 14s Yoga ITL 14” Core i7-1165G7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Touch
$379.00

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070
$1469.00

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99

Lenovo ThinkPad X13 Gen 1 i5-10310U 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good
$222.99

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...
$679.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$249.99