Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Two Problems: eth0 down and dhcp to static IP switch

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2

    Two Problems: eth0 down and dhcp to static IP switch

    Hey all -

    I'm brand new to Knoppix, but am relatively familiar with RedHat/Fedora. I have a Knoppix box running v4.0.2 (2.6.12 kernel). It's been running fine for several days, but this morning my eth0 device doesn't appear to be coming up. At least, it doesn't appear when I run ifconfig. I've tried "ifconfig eth0 up" with no luck. Of course, I've also tried "init 6" and restarting after a lengthier shutdown. No luck there either. When I boot up, I see a message that eth0 was detected and that the DHCP request is being sent to the background, but I never see any indication that an IP address was supplied.

    My first thought, then, is that my machine has just stopped getting a response from the DHCP server and if that's all it is then there's no problem. I really want this machine to have a static IP.

    So now to my questions:
    1. Is there a problem with eth0 or is it my dhcp server simply no replying to my request for an ip address?
    2. Since I want a static IP anyway, how can I change this from a DHCP client to a static ip?

    Thanks very much for any help.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I don't think we have enough information to tell you if your eth0 has failed. We don't even have the device model or any other newtwork hardware info, although I doubt that the model number would help in this case. My first approach would be to cycle power on both the computer and router, although it could even be something as simple as someone unplugging the network cable. Does this system also have Windows on it? Does that get a DHCP setup?

    You can bypass DHCP by running netcardconfig and answering the first question about DHCP in the negative.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2
    Hey Harry -

    I should have mentioned that this is running inside of a VMWare instance. I meant to do so and just forgot. I don't have any reason to suspect that the hardware is failing. More likely, I think, that the dhcp server isn't responding to the machine's request. What I don't understand is why. That said, though, running netcardconfig did exactly what I hoped it would do. eth0 is back online and I have a static IP.

    Thanks very much for your help.

Similar Threads

  1. dhcp works but static doesn't
    By paradigm_shift in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-28-2005, 01:25 AM
  2. eth0 config probs (dhcp nature)
    By masticate in forum Networking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-02-2005, 01:18 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-01-2005, 04:01 PM
  4. Network card eth0 start with DHCP !!!!!
    By fabry6210 in forum Networking
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-27-2004, 09:25 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-10-2004, 06:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Seagate 3.5

Seagate 3.5" Desktop HDD 3TB SATA III 6Gbps HDD 1ER166-510

$39.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99