Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Hex Editing the ISO

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3

    Hex Editing the ISO

    Hello,

    I would like to add a couple commands to a shell script to be executed on boot. The idea is to be able to make a CD that will do automatic backups so that someone (who knows little to nothing about computers) can put in the CD and boot off of it and it will backup a hard drive.

    My basic question is this. I don't want to remaster a CD if I don't have to. All I need is something as simple as
    "cp /dev/hda /dev/hdb" in a startup script. I think this could easily be done by hex editing the ISO (if there is room in the startup script for 21 extra bytes or so. 1) Where would I add this?

    2) I think it would be very helpful if in a startup script there was an extra 2k or so of comments left specifically for this purpose. That way, if someone wants to have the CD automatically do something, they have 2k set aside to hex edit and they wouldn't have to remaster. Could this suggestion be given to someone in authority who can add this to Knoppix. It only takes 2k or so and is extremely easy to do and adds much functionality in my opinion.

    Just add something like the following to the end of the last startup script called:

    #add Knoppix startup script code here...
    #Knoppix Startup Code Here. Knoppix Startup Code Here. Knoppix Startup Code Here.
    #Knoppix Startup Code Here. Knoppix Startup Code Here. Knoppix Startup Code Here.
    #Knoppix Startup Code Here. Knoppix Startup Code Here. Knoppix Startup Code Here.
    #Knoppix Startup Code Here. Knoppix Startup Code Here. Knoppix Startup Code Here.
    ...
    for a couple thousand bytes.

    Josh

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3

    compression!

    I see now that the startup scripts are in a compressed image so I imagine this won't work. Any other ideas?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205

    Re: compression!

    Quote Originally Posted by jgrauman
    I see now that the startup scripts are in a compressed image so I imagine this won't work. Any other ideas?
    If you add a script called "knoppix.sh" to right place (maybe top directory in CD, or the KNOPPIX-directory, I'm not sure) it will be automatically executed when Knoppix starts.
    Because such a script doesn't already exists on CD, you can't do that by hexediting the ISO. But you can do it without full remaster as you don't need to fiddle with the compressed image.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3

    Re: compression!

    Quote Originally Posted by malaire
    Quote Originally Posted by jgrauman
    I see now that the startup scripts are in a compressed image so I imagine this won't work. Any other ideas?
    If you add a script called "knoppix.sh" to right place (maybe top directory in CD, or the KNOPPIX-directory, I'm not sure) it will be automatically executed when Knoppix starts.
    Because such a script doesn't already exists on CD, you can't do that by hexediting the ISO. But you can do it without full remaster as you don't need to fiddle with the compressed image.
    I think it would be very helpful if this script was put onto the CD, full of 2k of comments like I suggested in my first post. Then you could hexedit the iso. Is there any possibility that this feature could be added. It would only take up 2k of the CD, and would sure make it easier for many people to remaster that only want simple changes. Who should be contacted to suggest this addition?

    Thanks.

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: compression!

    Quote Originally Posted by jgrauman
    I think it would be very helpful if this script was put onto the CD, full of 2k of comments like I suggested ....
    I have nothing against the idea, but have you looked at the ISO in it's current state? Have you found the current area that you are talking about? There must be some stuff there now, are you sure that there isn't enough space to do what you want? Do you know if there are not plenty of extra nulls that you could take advantage of? It would be much easier to promote your idea if you could show that you had edited the ISO sucessufully and done something, and now just needed more space to work in to make it generally useful to any more.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205

    Re: compression!

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by jgrauman
    I think it would be very helpful if this script was put onto the CD, full of 2k of comments like I suggested ....
    I have nothing against the idea, but have you looked at the ISO in it's current state? Have you found the current area that you are talking about? There must be some stuff there now, are you sure that there isn't enough space to do what you want? Do you know if there are not plenty of extra nulls that you could take advantage of? It would be much easier to promote your idea if you could show that you had edited the ISO sucessufully and done something, and now just needed more space to work in to make it generally useful to any more.
    I think it's quite different thing to hexedit a file which already exists in ISO, than to add new file to ISO by hexediting it, if that's even possible.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2
    Hey... that seems like a crazy idea...but.... why don't you put your script in /etc/rd5.d , it WILL be executed after X starts, it can be more complex cause in most cases the hard drive wont be hda, and it will work and you'll have a lot of less work..

    boot from the cd

    copy the files and dir's from the dir /KNOPPIX/ to a new directory

    chroot for the directory where you copied the /KNOPPIX/ dir

    put your sh in /etc/rc5.d from the shell where you chrooted...

    make the iso there

    burn it on a CD..

    & it's done

Similar Threads

  1. editing menu.lst w/o HDD
    By rankinreb in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-17-2006, 06:02 AM
  2. Editing LILO
    By jtsai256 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2004, 07:00 AM
  3. editing smb.conf
    By Legithrandil in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-31-2004, 04:44 PM
  4. editing install
    By buddha in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-19-2004, 11:18 AM
  5. Editing hostnames
    By easog in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-16-2004, 07:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lot of (5) Samsung 32GB 2RX4 DDR4-2133 ECC REG RAM M393A4K40BB0-CPB picture

Lot of (5) Samsung 32GB 2RX4 DDR4-2133 ECC REG RAM M393A4K40BB0-CPB

$875.00



24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC picture

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC

$349.99



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



Lot of 4 8GB DDR4 PC4-2400T ECC Registered Server RAM 32GB 1Rx8 RDIMM MICRON picture

Lot of 4 8GB DDR4 PC4-2400T ECC Registered Server RAM 32GB 1Rx8 RDIMM MICRON

$149.99