Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: What do you get after hd installing?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    9

    What do you get after hd installing?

    I'm currently use the Knoppix Live CD and I'm very happy with the way it's setup and I'd like to install it over my current hd install of Debian Woody.

    My quesiton is though, after the hdinstall will Knoppix still have the same features as the live CD such as KDE 3 and the automatic configuration of hardware?

    Thanks in advance,
    KevB

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    The software will be the same, such as KDE etc. as the system will be "copied" from the running knoppix live system. The knoppix hardware detection is not ran after you have done the hd install. So what I recomend is to make sure all hardware is setup properly nad that you also mount any storage devices you want to use in the hd install then when the running system is copied over to hd things will be very similar to the way they were running from the live cd.

    I just put a new video card in a knoopix hd install last night, and the easiest way to fix the XF86Config-4 file was to boot my knoppix cd, let it make a working XF86Config-4 file and then copy that over to my hard drive.

    HTH

    rock

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: What do you get after hd installing?

    Quote Originally Posted by KevB
    My quesiton is though, after the hdinstall will Knoppix still have the same features as the live CD such as KDE 3 and the automatic configuration of hardware?

    Thanks in advance,
    KevB
    If you just want the newer software like KDE and others then you could use the backports for woody from apt-get.org it will save you space from the all excess programs you will never use on a HD install.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    9

    Re: What do you get after hd installing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    If you just want the newer software like KDE and others then you could use the backports for woody from apt-get.org it will save you space from the all excess programs you will never use on a HD install.
    Thanks, this seems like my best option as my HD isn't that big. I did try adding a source for KDE 3 to my apt-get configuration before but it never updated and left me with KDE 2.2 or whatever is in stable?

    Is there an idiots guide to installing KDE 3.1 onto Debian Woody?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: What do you get after hd installing?

    Quote Originally Posted by KevB
    Thanks, this seems like my best option as my HD isn't that big. I did try adding a source for KDE 3 to my apt-get configuration before but it never updated and left me with KDE 2.2 or whatever is in stable?

    Is there an idiots guide to installing KDE 3.1 onto Debian Woody?
    Add the line deb http://download.us.kde.org/pub/kde/s...latest/Debian/ woody main to your sources.list and then apt-get update and then apt-get -s dist-upgrade to simulate the upgrade if you like what you see remove the -s and dist-upgrade. This gives you the latest KDE (3.1.1a) and is best done from a console login as kde is not running at the time.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    9
    Thanks, I've added the apt source and updating apt-get and that worked fine.

    But I haven't got KDE installed at the moment, and so apt-get dist-upgrade has no packages to update. I tried to install KDE by doing this:

    apt-get install kde

    But I get a lot of 'depends' errors like this:

    Depends: kdelibs3 but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: kdebase but it is not going to be installed or kdebase3 is not going to be installed

    And lots of other releating to KDE.

    Do you know how I can fix this mess?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by KevB
    Do you know how I can fix this mess?
    You will need to apt-get install kdebase to see which kdebase it will install apt-cache policy kdebase it should be installing 4:3.1.1-0woody3 (that's what it is on my woody machine). That will give you the basic KDE you will have to install other programs if you need them IIRC I had to install konqueror and a few others.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    9
    It's trying to install the correct version, but I still get depends errors when trying to install kdebase.

    I get depends errors for, kappfinder, kate, kcontrol, kdebase-bin, kdebase-kio-plugins, kdeprint, kdesktop, kfind, khelpcenter, kicker, klipper, kmenuedit, konqueror-plugins, konqueror, konsole, kpersonalizer, ksmserver, ksplash, ksysguard, ktip, kwin, libkong4.

    Then.

    E: Sorry, broken packages.


    Shouldn't apt-get install everything kdebase needs by itself?

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by KevB
    Shouldn't apt-get install everything kdebase needs by itself?
    I checked my woody install notes I had installed KDE from a fresh woody install then dist-upgrade sorry should have checked first. You could simulate installing everything it's wants. ie. apt-get -s install kdebase kappfinder kate kcontrol kdebase-bin kdebase-kio-plugins kdeprint kdesktop kfind khelpcenter kicker klipper kmenuedit konqueror-plugins konqueror konsole kpersonalizer ksmserver ksplash ksysguard ktip kwin libkong4 if everything is ok then install if not then get KDE from woody then upgrade.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    9
    I decided to leave my desktop alone, I don't want to ruin it!

    But I have a laptop running Debian Woody stable and I tried installing KDE 3.1 onto that as you said by using apt-get dist-upgrade. All this does is install remove KDE 2 and then install 3 packages which are libraries. After that running apt-get dist-upgrade again gives no packages to be updated. Trying to install kdebase gives the same results as my desktop machine!

    Basically it gets down to a dependancy with libarts that it says is not available, which I don't understand as I would have thought anything needed by KDE 3.1 would have been in the apt source?

    Thanks for your help so far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. installing knoppix vs installing Linux from scratch
    By jza in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-03-2003, 11:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module picture

Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module

$89.00



HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001 picture

HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001

$14.90



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Dell Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx CX4121C Dual 25GbE SFP28 LP | 20NJD picture

Dell Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx CX4121C Dual 25GbE SFP28 LP | 20NJD

$25.00



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



HP 557SFP+ ETHERNET 10GB 2 PORT 792834-001 788991-001 HIGH    LOT OF 10 picture

HP 557SFP+ ETHERNET 10GB 2 PORT 792834-001 788991-001 HIGH LOT OF 10

$70.00



Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP picture

Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP

$127.00