Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: How'd they do that with my mouse?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1

    How'd they do that with my mouse?

    ****My opinion of knoppix*****
    My first try with knoppix (in doubt it would be good I might add) was yesterday. This is the best damn linux on the planet. How come no other linux could do this well with an HD install? BTW, I've used Redhat 6.2, 6.2, 7, 8, Mandrake 6,7,9, and the Latest debian. My bro who despises linux because of it's inability to have things willing to work easily, loves knoppix.
    I like the fact that it auto detects all of my hardware and works fine, yet other *nix's have uses with getting something to work right.


    ****Actual question****
    Anyway, my question is, how did knoppix get my mouse (logitech USB wireless Optical) to work so well? Every distro i've tried won't work with my scroll wheel, and I tried everything I can find, but knoppix has no problem.
    I'd like to be able to get it to work in other distro's too, does anyone know how to do so? I'm using knoppix 3.2 cd. I'm going to toy with an hd install later.
    Oh yeah, I also have an issue with getting one of my ntfs partitions to work, the "mount" command gives me the error that it either has a bad super block or to many fs' mounted, even tho i can mount and unmount my other partitions fine (i tried unmounting all my non essential partitions and mounting that).

    Thanx,
    Dguy

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: How'd they do that with my mouse?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDGuy
    ****Actual question****
    Anyway, my question is, how did knoppix get my mouse (logitech USB wireless Optical) to work so well? Every distro i've tried won't work with my scroll wheel, and I tried everything I can find, but knoppix has no problem.
    I'd like to be able to get it to work in other distro's too, does anyone know how to do so?
    For the record, I have a Logitech, USB, wireless, optical that has always worked just fine w/ several distros.

    Knoppix has a "work on as many machines as possible" design. Have a look at your /etc/X11/XFree86Config-4 file. If you compare it to any other XF86Config you will see that it is HUGE!

    BUT - Was your actual problem with getting the mouse to work or with getting USB to work?

    Many other Linux distros are deisgned not around being easy to install but functionality. While Knoppix is perfect as a primary OS for many people (I have used it thus) sometimes it is desireable to have a more customized installation such as that provided by Gentoo for example. This sort of a distro offers the ability to customize virtually everything whereas Knoppix has many things already configured to work on most installs.

    I've used Redhat 6.2, 6.2, 7, 8, Mandrake 6,7,9, and the Latest debian.
    You haven't tried anything recent except for Debian which frankly is not an easy install. Mandrake is at 9.1 and RH (I think) is at 9?? (not sure).

    I'm using knoppix 3.2 cd. I'm going to toy with an hd install later.
    A very simple thing. Be aware that some things do change however- search here and you'll see.

    Oh yeah, I also have an issue with getting one of my ntfs partitions to work, the "mount" command gives me the error that it either has a bad super block or to many fs' mounted, even tho i can mount and unmount my other partitions fine (i tried unmounting all my non essential partitions and mounting that).

    Thanx,
    Dguy
    I don't do windows (literally) but be aware that you can(should) only mount NTFS as read-only as writing to NTFS is experimental and may result in data loss. How are you trying to mount it?

Similar Threads

  1. Mouse in 2.4?
    By Stealth870 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-10-2004, 12:18 AM
  2. Mouse
    By xdentan in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-23-2004, 01:50 AM
  3. Mouse
    By PhR057Y in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-11-2004, 11:27 PM
  4. how to make my Mouse Systems mouse work with knoppix?
    By clfest in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-30-2003, 01:59 AM
  5. No Mouse
    By woodpusher in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-26-2002, 12:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.98