Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Poor Man's Install questions

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    16

    Poor Man's Install questions

    Hi,

    I'm a newbie, and I hope someone can help me with this. I've just done the PMI, and Knoppix boots up fine...I know I'll need to partition my HD in order to be able to write files to my HD, but I wanted to see if I could get the OS to boot, first. As soon as I can solve this next problem, then I think I'll take the plunge and start divvying up the ol' HD.

    ON EDIT: I found that I could mount the CD-RW drive with
    mount /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom

    But here's the weird part...when I'm running Knoppix from the HD, the HD contents are located at file:/cdrom, and the hda1 folder is empty.

    Can anyone help me solve THIS mystery?

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674

    Re: Poor Man's Install questions

    Quote Originally Posted by hinachan
    Hi,

    I'm a newbie, and I hope someone can help me with this. I've just done the PMI, and Knoppix boots up fine...I know I'll need to partition my HD in order to be able to write files to my HD, but I wanted to see if I could get the OS to boot, first. As soon as I can solve this next problem, then I think I'll take the plunge and start divvying up the ol' HD.

    ON EDIT: I found that I could mount the CD-RW drive with
    mount /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom

    But here's the weird part...when I'm running Knoppix from the HD, the HD contents are located at file:/cdrom, and the hda1 folder is empty.

    Can anyone help me solve THIS mystery?

    Thanks in advance!
    Hi,
    If you are booting from the iso file on hdd, you will have the hda1 (iso boot) partition mounted on /cdrom2.loop.
    This is because of the double loopback trick used by the knoppix linunuxrc boot script.
    If you want to grant write access to that partition you may have to use something like:
    sudo mount -f -o remount,rw /cdrom2.loop
    But I will suggest you not to delete/move/or modify the iso file you just booted from...
    My two cents,
    Gilles

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    16

    Re: Poor Man's Install questions

    Quote Originally Posted by ruymbeke
    Hi,
    If you are booting from the iso file on hdd, you will have the hda1 (iso boot) partition mounted on /cdrom2.loop.
    This is because of the double loopback trick used by the knoppix linunuxrc boot script.
    If you want to grant write access to that partition you may have to use something like:
    sudo mount -f -o remount,rw /cdrom2.loop
    But I will suggest you not to delete/move/or modify the iso file you just booted from...
    My two cents,
    Gilles
    Thanks...I'll give that a try!

Similar Threads

  1. [Help] Write on poor man's install?
    By victoria in forum General Support
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-08-2006, 03:57 PM
  2. Poor Man's Install
    By anksingh in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-01-2006, 04:56 AM
  3. Poor Man's DVD Install
    By xfiles in forum Knoppix DVD
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-02-2005, 06:20 AM
  4. my poor man's install setup
    By probono in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-27-2004, 03:34 PM
  5. Poor man's install???
    By Obsidian in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-28-2003, 06:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.77