Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: How to install xscreensaver?

  1. #1

    How to install xscreensaver?

    I have Knoppix 5.0.1 and I'm using a flash drive to hold my configuration and data. I was attempting to compile xscreensaver but it errored out saying that there was no X. KDE requires X, yes? If that is the case, how do I tell xscreensaver the location of the X libraries and headers and stuff?

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Zurich of all places
    Posts
    11
    Why would you want to compile a program? Knoppix is based on Debian. Do you not know about Debian's packaging system?
    Code:
    $su
    # apt-get -s install xscreensaver
    # apt-get install xscreensaver
    # exit
    $
    The -s option will simulate the installation, so you will see whether it should work. If the simulation looks good, then run the install.

    I've never actually tried this in Knoppix, but it should work.

  3. #3
    Why would you want to compile a program? Knoppix is based on Debian.
    So I can customize the compilation and installation.

    Do you not know about Debian's packaging system?
    Yes, it is very nice. However, I do not want to use it in this case.

    Anyone have a suggestion on how to compile xscreensaver under Knoppix?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205

    Re: How to install xscreensaver?

    Quote Originally Posted by Screen Locker
    I have Knoppix 5.0.1 and I'm using a flash drive to hold my configuration and data. I was attempting to compile xscreensaver but it errored out saying that there was no X. KDE requires X, yes?
    Yes, you definitely have X installed, but you might not have the needed headers (or other development-stuff) installed.
    When compiling things, you often need to install some "development" packages first. They include stuff like headers.

    If you get error about X, you could try installing e.g. libx11-dev debian-package. If that doesn't fix it, then likely you need some other -dev packages first.

    Quote Originally Posted by Screen Locker
    If that is the case, how do I tell xscreensaver the location of the X libraries and headers and stuff?
    If you do have the headers and stuff installed, and you know where they are, you can tell that to configure-script before compiling.

    Use ./configure --help to see all options. You can use --x-includes=DIR and --x-libraries=DIR to tell where X include-files and X libraries are located.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix username on XScreenSaver
    By hmontes in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-25-2007, 02:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$205.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US picture

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US

$17.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network picture

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network

$874.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply picture

nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply

$200.00