Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: erased boot sector -> can knoppix help?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1

    erased boot sector -> can knoppix help?

    Hi All,

    I did a stupid thing and let my laptop reboot with a diskwipe boot disk in the floppy. I caught it before the progress even hit 1 percent so I am pretty sure the only thing that is erased is the boot sector. The laptop had 2 partitions -> 500 meg for Ghost and roughly 59 gig for winxp pro.

    Anyway I can use knoppix to retrieve any data? I tried booting in to knoppix and reading the HD but I get an error -> mount: I could not determine the filesystem type and none was specified.

    Ugh....I have a lot of data that is worth saving and I would appreciate any suggestions before I ship the hd to a data recovery company.

    Thanks!
    ry

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    You can try gpart, but 1% is a lot more than just the MBR.

    Gpart, by the way, might get back one or both of the partitions, but it will not restore the rest of the boot code, you would need to use something else for that, or just use Knoppix to back up the data if the partitions can be recovered and then start over with the hard disk.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    59
    you can try "TESTDISK" it will rewrite the Partition Table in the MBR if it can find the partitions. If the volume boot records were deleted , not sure if it will work.
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/index.html?testdisk.html It might not put the ghost partition type correct.

    If the Partition Table is rewritten correctly , you will then need to use XP cd and get into the recovery console and run FIXMBR and FIXBOOT.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    110
    If the partition is damaged, you can do a forensic type copy to a USB drive or over a network. Then there are windows tools for less than $100 that can recover, files and directories from damaged partitions. Most of the free file recovery programs recovered files as file0001.jpg, file0002.jpg, etc.

    I had a brain fade and tanked the front of my Windows partition. I copied my notebook hard drive over my network to a partition on another machine where I recovered nearly all of the files. Most I didn't want. The software recovered entire subdirectories and major portions of my root (C:)directory. The forensic copy is the first order of business, if the partition is partially overwritten.

    You can search my posts on this forum.

Similar Threads

  1. External hd keeps getting erased.
    By Schopenhauer101 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-16-2005, 02:42 PM
  2. Hard disk boot sector invalid
    By NEOMinds in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-23-2004, 02:52 AM
  3. Installed Windows and LILO was erased
    By emmbec in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-09-2004, 11:16 PM
  4. Help writing a new boot sector
    By ssnow in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-16-2003, 04:29 AM
  5. Boot sector
    By djordie in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-25-2003, 10:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$488.00



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710

$349.99



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95