Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: install MBR with GRUB from Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7

    install MBR with GRUB from Knoppix

    Hi All,

    Have a test box that I'm trying to recover. RHEL 4 with 4 SCSI drives.

    /dev/sda1 is the /boot
    /dev/sda2 is swap
    /dev/sda3 is part of the software raid

    The other drives contain swap and software raid partitions.

    Software raid is /dev/md0

    In my test I'm failing sda3 with mdadm, as if I have lost the whole drive and then booting in with Knoppix to save the day Next I rebuild the partitions, format the /dev/sda1 and copy the /boot info back to /dev/sda1 from backup copy I have on CD. Next I want to redo the MBR on /dev/sda, this is where I'm getting stuck on grub syntax.

    I need to tell grub about the location of /boot which is /dev/sda1, not sure how this is done from a Knoppix boot.

    Any Ideas Welcome!

    Joe

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    59
    I need to tell grub about the location of /boot which is /dev/sda1, not sure how this is done from a Knoppix boot.
    add the option 'fromhd=/dev/sda1'

    see /cdrom/knoppix/cheatcodes.txt for all the codes.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7
    Ok, not sure what thats supposed to do. /dev/sda1 is my /boot directory, does this use the info in the /boot?

    knoppix fromhd=/dev/sda1 Boot from previously copied CD-Image


    Quote Originally Posted by Zrebel
    I need to tell grub about the location of /boot which is /dev/sda1, not sure how this is done from a Knoppix boot.
    add the option 'fromhd=/dev/sda1'

    see /cdrom/knoppix/cheatcodes.txt for all the codes.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    59
    Sorry, just use the install scripts that come with the distro, 'knoppix-installer' as root.

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Zrebel
    Sorry, just use the install scripts that come with the distro, 'knoppix-installer' as root.
    The very last thing I would consider doing if I was trying to recover a system would be run the Knoppix installer.

  6. #6

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7
    I cannot 'chroot' because the / (root) partition is part of /dev/md0 (raid 5). I can mount the /dev/sda1 which contains /boot .

    I'm running this test on RHEL 4 32 bit and I have made a boot disk with mkbootdisk command, using the boot disk you can run grub and get everything back to normal on the new /dev/sda/ disk. But the real server is RHEL 4 64 bit and the mkbootdisk command is not available So trying to recover some other way on the test box without a RHEL 4 boot disk.

    When I first started this little test I made a copy of the MBR, I've been trying to re-install the MBR with:

    dd if=MBRbackup.bin of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1

    It runs fine, but GRUB does not boot the system. I get the "Error 15"

    I don't know, just seems to be little gotchas no matter which way I go.

    Thanks,

    Joe

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7
    Yea were not going to do that

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by Zrebel
    Sorry, just use the install scripts that come with the distro, 'knoppix-installer' as root.
    The very last thing I would consider doing if I was trying to recover a system would be run the Knoppix installer.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix HD install, Grub Error??
    By Sprok in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-10-2007, 01:31 AM
  2. Grub problems after Knoppix 4.0.2 HD install
    By bloomingeek in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-09-2005, 09:51 AM
  3. Can Knoppix be used to install grub in the MBR
    By cykick in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-03-2004, 06:20 PM
  4. Try to install KNOPPIX 3.3. on my HDD - result was GRUB ;(
    By mike22 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-10-2004, 10:58 AM
  5. I try install KNOPPIX 3.3. on HDD. Result was - GRUB ! :(
    By mike22 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-24-2004, 08:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$39.99



NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless picture

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless

$25.99



D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord picture

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord

$49.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99