-
Senior Member
registered user
Booting Knoppix live-CD using GRUB
I'm interesting to use GRUB to boot compressed ISO9660 filesystem (KNOPPIX). I think that Kanotix uses this method. How is this done?
I'm going to use also vesafb-tng, so giving different video modes in a command line is too complicated. I hope to get a menu where different kernel options can be choosed easily. Hope to get Knoppix menu WYSIWYG and no secret options (which nobody remembers) to be entered at the boot time in boot shell. Easy and no typos!
-tapsa-
-
Re: Booting Knoppix live-CD using GRUB

Originally Posted by
tr
I'm interesting to use GRUB to boot compressed ISO9660 filesystem (KNOPPIX). I think that Kanotix uses this method. How is this done?
I'm going to use also vesafb-tng, so giving different video modes in a command line is too complicated. I hope to get a menu where different kernel options can be choosed easily. Hope to get Knoppix menu WYSIWYG and no secret options (which nobody remembers) to be entered at the boot time in boot shell. Easy and no typos!
-tapsa-
It is really quite easy, the following is taken from my remaster scripts. In my scripts I have an option to build the ISO with either ISOLINUX or GRUB support. I've bolded the difference between the two.
52 : if [ "$1" != "legacy" ]
53 : then
54 :
55 : # GRUB bootloader
56 : mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "SECURIX" -publisher "SECURIX Live Team" -m "*.svn" \
57 : -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table \
58 :
-b boot/grub/stage2_eltorito -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -hide-rr-moved -o $ISO_FILE $MAS_DIR >$TMP 2>&1 & MKISO_PID=$!
59 : FUNC=" ${YELLOW}*${NORMAL} Building the ISO (with GRUB)"
60 : else
61 :
62 : # ISOLINUX bootloader
63 : mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "SECURIX" -publisher "SECURIX Live Team" -m "*.svn" \
64 : -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table \
65 :
-b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -hide-rr-moved -o $ISO_FILE $MAS_DIR >$TMP 2>&1 & MKISO_PID=$!
66 : FUNC=" ${YELLOW}*${NORMAL} Building the ISO (with ISOLINUX)"
67 : fi
Similar Threads
-
By goltz20707 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-27-2008, 10:39 AM
-
By nadavvin in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-12-2006, 10:07 AM
-
By dvryknopper in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-27-2006, 01:42 AM
-
By srbanator in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-30-2005, 07:53 AM
-
By kofti in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-20-2004, 03:29 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$39.99

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened
$195.00

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless
$25.99