Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Gateway MX3410 Laptop

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14

    Gateway MX3410 Laptop

    I recently got a Gateway MX3410 laptop that has a lot of new hardware in it
    Being an absolute windoze hater, I started to test Knoppix all versions on it
    to see if I can come to a solution for my laptop.
    Well, the hardware is as follows:

    Display: wide screen, max. res. 1280x800, then also 1024x768 and 800x600
    (these last two of course having an ugly aspect ratio, "stretched"
    on a 16:9 wide screen). Reported chipset is NVIDIA GeForce Go 6100,
    which is supposed to be part of the NVIDIA chipset somehow.
    Modem: 56K ITU V92 ready Fax/Modem; name reported in Windows is
    "Agere Systems HDA Modem"
    Network:
    1. Ethernet - NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
    2. Wireless - Realtek RTL8185 54M Wireless LAN Network Adapter
    Sound: well, the sound part is weird. Device Manager does not report
    any hardware for the sound card or chip, but I had to install a so-called
    "SigmaTel High Definition Audio Codec", whatever that means. I guess
    it is some kind of AC97 codec of some new generation but I'm not sure.
    Pointing device: Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad

    Well, Knoppixes versions 3.4, 3.6, 3.7 behave pretty weird, in that the keyboard
    has a repeat rate very high and a repeat delay very low, basically if I press a letter key
    I get the letter repeated 3-7 times. I went to the Control Center and deactivated
    keyboard repetition, and keyboard behaved normally, but once I close the Control
    Center the setting goes back to what it was and it's the same old story.
    I probably don't have to mention that they don't detect any network, display or modem

    Then I tried Knoppix DVD 4.0.2 and 5.0.1
    Well, at least they detect the ethernet card, but as for the display or wireless, no way!
    Honestly, the most urgent problem would be the display.
    I did a little googling and I found some french forum with a listing of the X conf file, and
    in it a modeline for 1280x800 @ 60Hz:

    # Default mode "1280x800": 83.5 MHz, 49.7 kHz, 60.0 Hz
    Modeline "1280x800" 83.46 1280 1344 1480 1680 800 801 804 828

    So I put this modeline in my xorg.conf, together with the screen res 1280x800 added to
    the screen section, but for some reason it does not work. I also specified nv as x driver.
    The only thing that happens is that the writing on the display flickers about 8 times
    at startup when it tries the nv driver, then aborts and tries the vesa driver with 1024x768
    which obviously works.
    I don't know what else I could try to make the display accept the 1280x800 @ 60Hz.
    I don't even dare to mention the wireless or the modem ....
    I have to say, the touchpad is the only thing that works under all knoppixes, even if the
    scroll bar on it is not really usable, but anyway...

    If anybody reads this (which I honestly don't really expect) and has any ideas about
    the widescreen resolution in knoppix, any answers would be greatly appreciated.
    Maybe I have to change the modeline? Maybe I missed something?

  2. #2
    First let me say that I really like Knoppix and I run it on a few other machines. But a few months ago I got a Gateway MX6440 and I had very little luck with most distros except for Ubuntu.

    Widescreen = works
    Wifi = works
    Sound = works
    USB = works
    Firewire = works
    Mousepad = works
    Function Keys = works

    I still love Knoppix but sometines you reach a point where it becomes counter-productive trying to get someting to work.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-19-2009, 11:42 PM
  2. Gateway Help
    By tomolewis in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-24-2007, 02:18 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-02-2007, 04:12 PM
  4. Gateway MX6440 Laptop
    By gotfoo in forum Laptops
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-27-2006, 10:43 AM
  5. Cannot boot my Gateway Solo 2500 Laptop
    By cgeoff1 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-04-2005, 03:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1599.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012 picture

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012

$109.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM picture

1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM

$344.97



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5315Y 8 CORE PROCESSOR 3.2 GHZ SRKXR picture

DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5315Y 8 CORE PROCESSOR 3.2 GHZ SRKXR

$1100.00