Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: New to Knoppix - How to play a CD?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8

    New to Knoppix - How to play a CD?

    Hi I just installed Knoppix-Auditor to HD on my Dell Inspiron 2200. Must say I'm quite impressed so far! I was using Fedora 5 and Knoppix is way more Laptop friendly.

    Funny that changing my MAC address and using Kismet is quite intuitive but how do I play a damn cda or mp3 file? It asks "what do you want to open this file with" and damned if I can find XMMS or what to use? Where is it?

    Also what is there in terms of soft fones or gtk-gnutella for Knoppix users?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    16

    Re: New to Knoppix - How to play a CD?

    Quote Originally Posted by FONE_STAR
    Hi I just installed Knoppix-Auditor to HD on my Dell Inspiron 2200.
    I'm no expert by any means, but going by what I read online, Knoppix can be kind of problematic when installed to HD. I don't know if that has anything to do with this, but be forewarned that you might run into headaches by not using the live CD.

    Quote Originally Posted by FONE_STAR
    how do I play a damn cda or mp3 file? It asks "what do you want to open this file with" and damned if I can find XMMS or what to use? Where is it?
    Starting with the obvious (which can sometimes be the most baffling!), does this version of the distro even include XMMS? If not, you'd have to download and install it. If XINE is included in your distro, it should play mp3's and the like. I also use Puppy Linux, which doesn't have XMMS, but uses XINE to play audio-only files, as well as the video files it's intended for. There's another similar program, Kaffeine, which might be included with your distro.

    I'll admit, I've never used Knoppix-Auditor, but I have tried several live-CD distros. And when I have a problem like that, there's usually another program that's intended to do the job. The main menu might have a "Multimedia" subsection...click on it, and see which programs are included for playing audio or video.

    If nothing's there for you to use, then I guess you'd have to install XMMS. But it'll take someone more knowledgeable than I, to walk you through the process.

    I hope I've been able to help, at least in some small way.

Similar Threads

  1. win doesn't play nice with my knoppix hd install :(
    By paradox_4 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-18-2004, 10:19 AM
  2. xine on knoppix 3.3 will not play dvds
    By needhelpNOW in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-29-2004, 07:27 PM
  3. How to install second Knoppix to play with? - Solved !
    By janmartin3 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-20-2003, 11:15 PM
  4. My plug and play 56k modem is not working on Knoppix
    By Enoch Chan in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-13-2003, 03:29 AM
  5. help! I play knoppix, before i cant boot
    By mulder in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-08-2003, 10:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2 x Vintage IBM Mainframe Computer Card - Circuit Board picture

2 x Vintage IBM Mainframe Computer Card - Circuit Board

$49.99



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$157.30



Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



LOT of 14 DATA 100 Corporation Mainframe Terminal Boards Memory Backplane Gold picture

LOT of 14 DATA 100 Corporation Mainframe Terminal Boards Memory Backplane Gold

$749.99



Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Computer Tape Reel 1600 BPI 9 Track Vintage Mainframe LOT OF 2 WITH BOX picture

Computer Tape Reel 1600 BPI 9 Track Vintage Mainframe LOT OF 2 WITH BOX

$89.95



Vintage IBM #192726 Paper Tape Punch Mainframe Computer Programming Tool 1960s picture

Vintage IBM #192726 Paper Tape Punch Mainframe Computer Programming Tool 1960s

$81.39



SOYO SY25 R-Vesa Socket 3 Motherboard SiS Chipset Mainframe picture

SOYO SY25 R-Vesa Socket 3 Motherboard SiS Chipset Mainframe

$73.99



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$157.93