Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Trouble Booting to the Live CD...

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7

    Trouble Booting to the Live CD...

    Accessing KNOPPIX CD at /dev/hda.../cdrom/KNOPPIX/modules/insmod: I/O Error
    Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
    Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
    Press reset button to quit.

    My keyboard seems to not function as well.

    I've tried the nodma and failsafe options but both didn't make a difference.

    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    This problem is often seen with a bad burn, bad media, or a burn done at high speed, or a marginal optical drive. I don't have enough information to say if any of these things affect you.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7
    I've made two burns on different computers... I've used these CDs before for other burns and they worked fine. I still get the same error. Maybe I got a bad iso file? What's the next step in the troubleshooting process?

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by wgh
    I've made two burns on different computers... I've used these CDs before for other burns and they worked fine. I still get the same error. Maybe I got a bad iso file? What's the next step in the troubleshooting process?
    See answer #1, it covers your bad iso question and a lot more. How fast did you do those two burns?

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    77
    Code:
    Accessing KNOPPIX CD at /dev/hda.../cdrom/KNOPPIX/modules/insmod: I/O Error
    The latest knoppix 5.0.1 CD has the media file now implemented at boot. So if you used the cheat codes try:
    knoppix myconf=/media/hda...

  6. #6
    I have the same problem too

    and I try what Wka suggested but it still doesn't work

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    77
    Code:
    Accessing KNOPPIX CD at /dev/hda.../cdrom/KNOPPIX/modules/insmod: I/O Error
    The CD is located at /dev/hda? My CD is at /dev/hdc
    How is your box configured? Cause hda is usually the HDD.
    I had a while back i had a gateway on the HDD with hde.
    Or are u using the poor mans install?
    BTW, If you have Linux or Windows on the HDD you can double check the CD. There should be a number of icons there.
    Another thought: Either make your BIOS start your CD first or if you have an F12 just before boot to the menu and choose CD.
    Read here. It's Mr Kuhmans' notes. It's very informative.
    Read and re-read it all!!

  8. #8
    Perhaps I missed the solution to the posted problems. I am having similar trouble booting Knoppix on two more recent Dell computers. It works on older Dell's. I did try several of the boot options: the failsafe boots but then my keyboard doesn't work. I assume I need to find the correct boot option but don't know what it is.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks

  9. #9
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by tscott
    ... the failsafe boots but then my keyboard doesn't work.....
    Sounds like in your case the disc is likely good, it's just a hardware issue with Knoppix. I don't know the proper "cheat code" if any, but you might want to look at your system BIOS and see if there is any setting that will help you get the keyboard working, particularly if this is a USB keyboard rather than a standard PS2 style keyboard.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    77
    Maybe the ACPI is enabled by default in BIOS and there isn“t an option to disable it. try
    knoppix noapic acpi=off
    hope this helps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Big Time Trouble Booting to the Live CD...
    By hanktank in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 11-15-2006, 05:37 PM
  2. Trouble with Internet Browsing - Knoppix Live DVD 5.0.1
    By Ironfighter in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-29-2006, 09:59 AM
  3. trouble booting
    By njmetalmeister in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-04-2004, 11:26 PM
  4. Trouble Booting
    By Polo2883 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-24-2004, 12:01 AM
  5. trouble on booting
    By joinf in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-02-2003, 10:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1599.99



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$225.00



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM picture

1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM

$344.97



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012 picture

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012

$109.99