Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: How do i install or put Knoppix on hda

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    10

    How do i install or put Knoppix on hda

    Hai Knoppixians

    I have windows xp on my system & downloaded Knoppix last night. It is facinating to use even the live CD.
    Great! the net works w/o confioguring in Konquerer , however firefox isn't opening sites, don't know why.
    But i have only one cd plyer & that is engaged while live cd runs.
    Moreover KDE doesn't allows me to change screen resolution to 1024 * 786. View is too fatty like.

    I would love to install Knoppix on the hard disk or at least do something to free my cdrom.

    Please tell me how.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    THere is plenty of information in the wiki, including a warning. See answer #2. Do you have any reason for installing Knoppix rather than installing Debian testing and then installing exactly which applications that you want in Knoppix from the Debian package system, a technique that would result in a working and stable system? So far no one has been able to give me a good answer to that question and I suspect the baby duck syndrome.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4
    I've just found a helpful link on the subject:

    http://www.freenet.org.nz/misc/knoppix-install.html

    If it's true that when you do a hard drive install that it "basically" becomes Debian then "I'm there". I've been running Debian for a couple of years now, but am looking for a "desktop" linux to run on my laptop.

    BTW Harry..."baby duck syndrome?"

    -Trip

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by tripwire45
    If it's true that when you do a hard drive install that it "basically" becomes Debian then "I'm there". I've been running Debian for a couple of years now, but am looking for a "desktop" linux to run on my laptop.
    Sure it's true. In much the same way that if you paint racing stripes on your VW it "basically" becomes a Porsche (except in this case a Porsche with a lot of Fiat qualities).

    Quote Originally Posted by tripwire45
    BTW Harry..."baby duck syndrome?"
    Yes, that's my thinking exactly. People install a Live CD without even trying an install of a current version of Debian. They live with the loss of all the space for installed applications that they really didn't want, will never use, and could easily have installed in Debian with apt-get if they decided they did want them. They somehow fear learning to use the very easy apt-get system but ignore warning about the problems that are seen repeatedly with a Live CD "install" and spend so much more time fighting those problems that doing it right would take, and in the end they still can't use apt-get. If you are already a Debian user, do a net-install of Etch and either take the desktop install option (Gnome) or just apt-get whatever GUI that you like best (my Debian install has both Gnome and KDE just so I can play with either). I install just what I want right from the Internet quickly, and I'm sure I'm learning a lot more this way that I would learn if I spent my time tracking down Knoppix hard disk issues.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    10
    Many Thanks to all of you guys. I guess i will keep running Knoppix Live till i get enough aquainted with Linux.

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: How do i install or put Knoppix on hda

    Quote Originally Posted by anksingh
    I would love to install Knoppix on the hard disk or at least do something to free my cdrom.

    Please tell me how.
    Quote Originally Posted by anksingh
    Many Thanks to all of you guys. I guess i will keep running Knoppix Live till i get enough aquainted with Linux.
    You are of course free to keep using Knoppix as a live CD. But the post was not intended to discourage you from instaling Linux, just from making the mistake of installing Knoppix, which frequently causes beginners a lot of trouble. If you have empty unpartitioned space on a hard disk that you could have installed Knoppix to, I would suggest that you look at the net install of Debian etch. It is actually very easy to install, and you would have a real Linux system that you could install any additional applications that you want to. And you can still run Knoppix if you want, having Linux on the hard disk doesn't prevent that in any way. And it would free up your CD rom.

Similar Threads

  1. Apt-get better with Debian install than Knoppix install?
    By susanjohnson in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-21-2005, 11:36 AM
  2. Upgrade Knoppix 3.6 HDD install to Knoppix 3.7 HDD install
    By techdesk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2005, 03:14 AM
  3. Knoppix install read error around 80%, install another way?
    By nmz787 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-21-2004, 09:17 AM
  4. Knoppix HDD install Vs. regular Debian install
    By Jez in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 09:06 PM
  5. saving home from hd-install, so i can install new knoppix
    By Superstoned in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-27-2003, 03:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11 picture

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11

$149.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99