Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Broken harddisk; how can I try to get files off of it?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1

    Broken harddisk; how can I try to get files off of it?

    Hi, I've got a broken harddrive sitting in my notebook computer next to me here. I know that the chances of getting anything off of it at this point are slim to none, but there are a few files I didn't back up recently that I would really like to get off of it, if it is at all possible.

    I am very new to KNOPPIX, and Linux in general. A friend of mine gave me a copy a while back, and it almost succeeded in saving some files from my harddisk last time it died (unfortunately it wouldn't recognize the USB Zip Drive for some reason, probably my fault. It was an older version). So when I called him up this time, he told me to download the newest version of KNOPPIX and try again.

    I downloaded KNOPPIX 5.0.1, and it does work on the computer with the broken harddrive (it booted fine, I can open programs and stuff). However, the whole time it is booting up, the harddrive is clicking away (harddrives aren't supposed to do that I understand ). When it is finally done booting, the harddrive is silent, and when I try to mount it:

    "Could not mount device.

    The reported error was:

    Error reading bootsector: Input/output error

    Failed startup volume: Input/output error

    Couldn't mount device '/dev/hda1': input/output error

    Mount failed."

    I tried mounting it through the Konsole with "mount /media/hda1", but it gives a similar error.

    I know this is almost certainly a waste of time trying to get files off of the thing, but I still want to try. Does anyone have anything I can try? I'd appreciate any help.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    11
    You could give testdisk a go. I've not tried it but it looks good. Thoughtfully it's on the knoppix disc.
    Do "man testdisk" for some brief notes. Use "locate testdisk" to see where the main docs are. etc.
    It will do FAT partitions too. Unsure if it will be happy with dying harddisk. Nothing to lose...
    A case of make backups, often. Good luck!

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    348
    IAMBOB:

    If your hard drive is clicking abnormally, you probably have mechanical damage to the drive. It may or may not have harmed the disk surfaces, but it is not a good sign. If you need the data on the drive, you may have to resort to a data recovery service, since nothing you could really do externally would restore the drive to operable condition. Continued operation of the drive in that condition could also have a negative impact on the success of any data recovery, if you choose to go that route. I had a Toshiba drive recently that failed in a similar manner. The drive was replaced by Toshiba under warranty. It would have cost much more than it was worth to recover the data. I had the important stuff backed up and it was just a matter of reinstalling the OS. I have recovered information from drives in the condition you described. It involves swapping parts from another drive that is the same as the broken one. Sometimes it works like a charm. Sometimes it's just a waste of good parts and time.

Similar Threads

  1. cant acces harddisk files
    By henkchr in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-30-2009, 04:39 PM
  2. USB Harddisk
    By chessweb in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-03-2006, 09:21 PM
  3. How to save my files into the harddisk ?
    By freelysj in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-15-2005, 02:34 PM
  4. Cannot boot from new harddisk
    By GblubbR in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-09-2005, 05:18 PM
  5. USB harddisk
    By sn0wflake in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-25-2004, 06:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R630 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 64GB RAM No Drives/OS Server picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 64GB RAM No Drives/OS Server

$490.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 32GB RAM No Drives/OS Server picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 32GB RAM No Drives/OS Server

$325.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays

$599.99



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99