I fixed it!
The problem was that I untarred firefox-1.5.0.5 in the wrong place. This procedure worked:
cd /usr/lib
tar xzvf firefox-1.5.0.5.tar.gz
I updated firefox, now java is broken. I searched about:config for java and compared to working computer, no change. I tried running firefox as root and as knoppix, no java.
I fixed it!
The problem was that I untarred firefox-1.5.0.5 in the wrong place. This procedure worked:
cd /usr/lib
tar xzvf firefox-1.5.0.5.tar.gz

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
2024 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive
$89.99
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99
2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive
$59.99
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47
LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80
Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick
$218.79
128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit USB Flash Drive
$24.99