I fixed it!
The problem was that I untarred firefox-1.5.0.5 in the wrong place. This procedure worked:
cd /usr/lib
tar xzvf firefox-1.5.0.5.tar.gz
I updated firefox, now java is broken. I searched about:config for java and compared to working computer, no change. I tried running firefox as root and as knoppix, no java.
I fixed it!
The problem was that I untarred firefox-1.5.0.5 in the wrong place. This procedure worked:
cd /usr/lib
tar xzvf firefox-1.5.0.5.tar.gz

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99
(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)
$700.00
INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99
MAKE ME AN OFFER Intel Core i5-10400 6-Core 2.90GHz LGA1200 CPU 12MB L3 SRH3C
$87.65
AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)
$59.00
Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested*
$32.99
Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00
Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor
$14.49
Evergreen 586 - Processor upgrade 486 to 586
$149.99
AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad
$355.99