-
Problems cloning Windows XP
I created an image using Knoppix of a Dell Windows XP machine. I used Sysprep to take out the SID, etc...
When I copy the image over to another Dell machine with the same setup and boot, all I see is a black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner. Why is this? What did I do wrong?
Also, how do I know what to copy? I have /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, and /dev/sdb1.
-
Senior Member
registered user
how did you clone it?
What did you use? dd, ddrescue, partimage?
are the two disks exactly the same? by that i mean, same size, same sector/cylinder/head count... if not there might be some trouble.
it MIGHT be ok if you have a full copy of XP and use the fixmbr and fixboot comands
-
I used dd... but I may not have copied the entire physical drive, instead I think I copied the 2nd partition. Would that matter because the 2nd partition is the partition with all the Windows files. I think the first partition has some Dell tools.
-
Senior Member
registered user
yes it will matter as the first part of the drive contains the bootmanager and such, if i was you i would copy it all
-
Now I can't write to my second drive to copy the image over the network using Konqueror... I'm trying to create a file on a Windows computer using dd and gzip but it's not working... What is the syntax for this?
I'm inputting:
dd if=/dev/sda | gzip > 10.0.0.50/images/image.gz
But it's saying no such file or directory. I can browse to this in Konqueror.
-
Why did my post get moved?
-
Senior Member
registered user
not 100% correct. readmore here, and use the searchfunction for info.
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13913
-
Senior Member
registered user
I am referring to your first post in this thread about the cloned XP hanging with a blinking cursor.
I believe you have stumbled on a little-known problem with cloning of XP. The symptoms look familiar and it has happened to me before. This is discussed sometimes in forums on Norton Ghost and so on. The problem is not the imaging or cloning software (most seem to run into this problem except it seems for Acronis TrueImage). The problem is a feature of the XP registry itself. The solution involves editing the XP registry on the source disk before cloning.
I don't think I can explain the problem and the solution better than the 2nd-last post at bottom on this link here:
http://www.devhardware.com/forums/so...ems-82618.html
Similar Threads
-
By patelbhavesh in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-03-2006, 11:13 PM
-
By eon in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-02-2005, 11:14 AM
-
By drjawn in forum General Support
Replies: 10
Last Post: 01-17-2005, 12:23 PM
-
By xeoron in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 09-03-2004, 10:31 AM
-
By Balaam in forum General Support
Replies: 15
Last Post: 04-07-2004, 12:34 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer
$2999.99

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503
$109.99

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates
$36.00

Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board
$24.99

Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01
$127.06

Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare
$179.00

VINTAGE 1970s SKIT Scientific Kit for Computer & Electronics SEALED INSIDE Rare
$380.00

Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable
$75.00

VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A
$22.67

Vintage HP 82166A HP-IL Converter Custom “The BOX” TTL/DAC Interface Controller
$499.99