Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Problems cloning Windows XP

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7

    Problems cloning Windows XP

    I created an image using Knoppix of a Dell Windows XP machine. I used Sysprep to take out the SID, etc...

    When I copy the image over to another Dell machine with the same setup and boot, all I see is a black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner. Why is this? What did I do wrong?

    Also, how do I know what to copy? I have /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, and /dev/sdb1.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    how did you clone it?
    What did you use? dd, ddrescue, partimage?
    are the two disks exactly the same? by that i mean, same size, same sector/cylinder/head count... if not there might be some trouble.
    it MIGHT be ok if you have a full copy of XP and use the fixmbr and fixboot comands

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7
    I used dd... but I may not have copied the entire physical drive, instead I think I copied the 2nd partition. Would that matter because the 2nd partition is the partition with all the Windows files. I think the first partition has some Dell tools.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    yes it will matter as the first part of the drive contains the bootmanager and such, if i was you i would copy it all

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7
    Now I can't write to my second drive to copy the image over the network using Konqueror... I'm trying to create a file on a Windows computer using dd and gzip but it's not working... What is the syntax for this?

    I'm inputting:

    dd if=/dev/sda | gzip > 10.0.0.50/images/image.gz

    But it's saying no such file or directory. I can browse to this in Konqueror.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7
    Why did my post get moved?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    not 100% correct. readmore here, and use the searchfunction for info.
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13913

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    117
    I am referring to your first post in this thread about the cloned XP hanging with a blinking cursor.

    I believe you have stumbled on a little-known problem with cloning of XP. The symptoms look familiar and it has happened to me before. This is discussed sometimes in forums on Norton Ghost and so on. The problem is not the imaging or cloning software (most seem to run into this problem except it seems for Acronis TrueImage). The problem is a feature of the XP registry itself. The solution involves editing the XP registry on the source disk before cloning.

    I don't think I can explain the problem and the solution better than the 2nd-last post at bottom on this link here:
    http://www.devhardware.com/forums/so...ems-82618.html

Similar Threads

  1. Cloning Harddrive with Knoppix and G4L
    By patelbhavesh in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-03-2006, 11:13 PM
  2. Disk Cloning?
    By eon in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-02-2005, 11:14 AM
  3. cloning HD using Knoppix
    By drjawn in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-17-2005, 12:23 PM
  4. cloning locally-- please help
    By xeoron in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-03-2004, 10:31 AM
  5. Cloning a harddisk
    By Balaam in forum General Support
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-07-2004, 12:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD picture

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD

$239.99



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00



G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only picture

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only

$200.00



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID picture

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID

$24.43



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.26



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$300.00