Yes, a good chance, if you manage to do it at all. See answer #6.Originally Posted by bicho
Ok, so I Have win XP on a partition. I want to rename a file, that way instead of opening logon.src it would open cmd (that way I can have access to the command line prompt) because my friend forgot his password and I want to reset it.
If I do that, is there a chance of damaging files or something worse to my Windows XP?
I am using Knoppix Live CD 3.x. How do I access my windows partition files when booting with the live cd?
Yes, a good chance, if you manage to do it at all. See answer #6.Originally Posted by bicho
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
How do I access Windows Files if I can't access them?
See answer #6.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
just use the password reset disk: http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/Originally Posted by bicho
I believe Knoppix and subsequent developers of rescue type Knoppix spin-offs (such as INSERT) anticipated just such a scenario like yours, that is, using Knoppix as a rescue disk to reset NT passwords.
See for example Hack #75 in the Oreilly book "Knoppix Hacks" which explains the steps.
http://hacks.oreilly.com/pub/ht/124
An expanded explanation is here:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/...s_with_Knoppix
Now, to do the above, you are going to have to activate Knoppix's NTFS write capability. Not everyone is going to agree that it is safe. I have done my trials, and believe it is good enough for rescue purposes, which is what I will use Knoppix mainly for. This is because in a rescue situation, it is often a case of taking a risk, or else lose everything by doing nothing. If you want to be cautious (I am), image the XP partition before fiddling with it.
Best of luck. And if you succeed, come back and tell us about your experience.
Please refer to the data in
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25034
Cannot access my SATA disk

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$102.99
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive
$39.99
Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot
$79.99
Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00
2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.80
Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99
Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health
$24.00
Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD
$23.00
SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed
$42.00