Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: knoppix will not mount my flash drive

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    120

    knoppix will not mount my flash drive

    I slid in my flash drive, the icon appears. I double click it and I get an error: "Could not mount device......" I checked out dmesg and it said it didn't reconize the uid knoppix so I removed it from fstab. KDE immediaitly picked up on the drive and it was working fine. Before I could pat my self on the back I had to be sure it was working for good. I took out the drive and put it back in, waited for the icon and clicked it. I got the orginal error. :shock: Something auto updates fstab when I slid the flash drive in. Can somebody tell me what?

    Thanks for reading,

    John

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    51
    Hello,

    i've had the same problem and here's how to solve it:

    The UDEV system automatically generates the line in /etc/fstab. (This is kinda new) The problem is, on an HD-installation one usually has a username other than knoppix. Just go and check out
    /etc/udev/knoppix.rules
    and change the knoppix entries to your username and it will work.

    see also
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24796

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    120
    Thanks dude, that did the trick. Now I'm faced with a new obstacule. I only have read premission on the flash drive.

    Did this happen to you?

    John

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    51
    You need an entry in /etc/sudoers like this one:

    posmanet localhost=/usr/bin/remountrw

    where posmanet should be replaced by Your username on Your system. This gives the user the right to remount a device from read-only (ro) to read-writeable (rw).

    When You've done this You can right-click on the icon on the desktop that "belongs" to Your flash drive (e.g. sda1) and change the read/write mode.

Similar Threads

  1. Unable to Run Knoppix 5.1.1 from USB Flash Drive
    By Japazo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-01-2010, 09:45 PM
  2. Customizing Knoppix DVD with USB flash drive
    By johnsfine in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-05-2007, 08:07 PM
  3. Can't Mount Flash Drive with Knoppix 5.0.1 installed
    By crazy_monkey108 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-21-2006, 05:56 AM
  4. USB flash drive not able to mount.
    By bokaroseani in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-04-2005, 09:27 PM
  5. Knoppix from a flash drive?
    By jscinoz in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-02-2005, 01:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI picture

OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI

$195.00



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



Barracuda NextGen CloudGen Cloud Based Firewall F280 BNGF280a w/ 8.3.1 Firmware picture

Barracuda NextGen CloudGen Cloud Based Firewall F280 BNGF280a w/ 8.3.1 Firmware

$89.99



HP 2x 10GB OPNsense Quad Core i5-8500 8GB RAM 3Port Gigabit Firewall AES-NI SSD picture

HP 2x 10GB OPNsense Quad Core i5-8500 8GB RAM 3Port Gigabit Firewall AES-NI SSD

$199.95



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$199.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J picture

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J

$40.00



Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot picture

Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot

$95.99



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00