Quote Originally Posted by sam2539
do you think that as I have the full DVD (3.88gb) downloaded, that it would be OK to install it on my Hard Drive.
OH, what a question. Different people have different views on this, but my answer is simple:

NO! Hell no! No. No. NO. Don't even think about doing it.

See my stock answer #2 on this. Knoppix is a Live CD or Live DVD and things go horribly wrong when it is "installed" to hard disk. Yea, some very experienced users can fix them. I can't. And I doubt that you can.

While some people do install it and force it to work, there are lingering problems being able to install any new software or updates. And I have never heard any good reason for actually installing a Live CD! If you like Knoppix, you can easily do a Net install of Debian Etch. It should install with much less effort than forcing Knoppix to install. Once installed you can easily install any application included in Knoppix with the apt-get system (and many many more) and you don't waste space on any applications in Knoppix that you don't want.

The only rational reason I have ever heard of people wanting to install Knoppix over Debian is the baby duck syndrome. And that's not a good reason to do it, it just explains the mentality.

I'm not a Debian deciple and I'm not saying that it's the best distro for all users. There are other distros available too an you might like another better. But if you like Knoppix as a live CD you should love Debian as an installed to hard disk distro, but you may hate Knoppix if you try to install it.


By the way, what version of the DVD do you think you have? Did you check the md5 checksum? 5.0.1 is larger than that. You might want to read my answer #1 also.