I want to run Knoppix from a flash card. Unfortunately my latop does not support booting from PCMCIA. I tried booting with cheatcode "knoppix ide2=0x180 nopcmcia" (recommended for PCMCIA CDROMs), but no success.
So I decided to boot from USB and run from the flash card by using the cheatcode "fromhd". Then I can remove the USB stick so there are no parts sticking out of the laptop. Now I have a new problem: PCMCIA support is not built into the Knoppix kernel. Solution: rebuild the kernel with PCMCIA support.
I downloaded a fresh 2.6.12 kernel from kernel.org (I am using Knoppix4.0.2). According to info in the src directory Knoppix uses a plain vanilla kernel with two patches. The first one, xfs support, I don't need so I skipped this patch. The second one, a long bootcommand line, I applied. But I got an error message: the file to be patched cannot be patched with the file on the Knoppix CD! (I wonder how Klaus did this patch). Not really needing 512 characters in the bootcommandline I decided to also skip this patch. I then went on to modify the config file by setting the PCMCIA related stuff to "y" instead of "m". After that I compiled the kernel, compiled and installed the modules and copied the kernel and systemmap to /boot. I made a new initrd and copied it to /boot. Finally I put all this stuff on a USB stick.
The end result of all my efforts: my pcmcia adapter/flash card is still not seen when knoppix boots.
Where did I go wrong?

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99
Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99
Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords
$205.00
CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188
$24.94
Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch
$69.99
Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module
$30.00
$75.00
CISCO INDUSTRIAL SWITCH IE-3100-8T2C-E New
$1049.00