Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Linux Certification

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    16

    Linux Certification

    I was thinking about going through one of the linux certification programs. I think I'd like to avoid the red hat program, but they all seem to focus on that distro. Has anyone done this (or know someone who has)? Can you recommend one in particular?

    Any knowledge first hand or otherwise is appreciated.

    Thanks,

    soap

  2. #2
    Red Hat Certification is nice, but really expensive. I say nice, because the test includes a hands on phase. Being expensive has its benefits as well. That being that the market won't be flooded with RHCE's and therefore the certification will carry weight longer.

    If you want a cheaper test that is not distribution-centric, you can try the LPI exam (http://www.lpi.org). This is an "open source" test and has head of various Linux companies on its panel. It is also significantly cheaper (about $100 a test). It is the one that I am currently studying for.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    16
    I forgot to add that cost really isn't an issue. My company may be willing to pay for the courses provided I can convince them that this is a worthwhile endeavor.

    I want to clarify the RHCE problem to me. I don't use red hat, and I don't plan on ever using it. I like the debian social contract, so I want to learn more about debian or at least get a broad linux certification (i.e. not distro specific). Maybe the RHCE program does this and doesn't focus on red hat solely, but I'm skeptical.

    Thanks for the quick reply cascadefx.

    still wondering,

    soap

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    Also look into Linux+ . It's made by CompTIA, and is non-distro centric. I have the book but havn't taken the test yet. I think it is a quality test, the only thing I didn't like is there is quite a bit of scsi stuff in it, and I have 0 experience with scsi ( and don't want to! )

Similar Threads

  1. linux to linux shares
    By realpc in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-15-2005, 04:55 PM
  2. Able to dual boot XP and linux but Linux goes to GRUB, help
    By istoleapig in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-19-2005, 09:28 AM
  3. Printing: XP to Linux or Linux to XP
    By mpeden in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-11-2004, 12:09 AM
  4. Dizinha Linux, New project for "Small" Linux
    By Lame_Duck in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-08-2004, 05:19 PM
  5. Microsoft-Linux!(MS-Linux)
    By bongski55 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-08-2003, 04:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



NETGEAR GS116PP 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch UNTESTED  picture

NETGEAR GS116PP 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch UNTESTED

$40.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99