Yup, that's exactly what happens. Consider the words of Mr. T and Nelson, and see answer #2.
I have just started with Knoppix or for that matter any Linux systems. Things were working not too bad untill I used synaptics package manager and upgraded KDE. Then I rebooted and now I get a welcome to Debian Knoppix screen that wants a user name and password. Needless to say I have no idea. Does any one out there?
Yup, that's exactly what happens. Consider the words of Mr. T and Nelson, and see answer #2.
Well that really doesn't answer it. I never did a hdd install, probably I should have given a little more info. Iam am running the persistant image from a usb memory stick and copied the CD to it as well. All has been well for several days untill I changed KDE. So at bootup when trying to go to the image is when I get this log on screen.

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$285.97
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox
$620.00
Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00