-
Senior Member
registered user
What I'm wondering is what apps can you run this way. Why do you use a cluster - mpi or otherwise?
TIA,
-
cheater way to get LTSP running on hdinstall'ed system
Here is what I did to cheat and get LTSP running on a HD installed Knoppix system( should work for ClusterKnoppix ):
1) boot from the CD and start the LTSP
2) tar up the /tmp/tftp directory and save it to either a hard disk, USB or something persistant
3) boot your HD installed system and start your LTSP session
4) extract the KNOPPIX compressed filesystem from the Knoppix CD to the /cdrom directory
5) un-tar your saved /tmp/tftp data to the local /tmp/tftp system
6) edit the default file in /etc/tftp/pxeconfig directory so that it uses the current IP address
( you can also customize the boot configuration for the PXE boot systems )
Now you should be able to boot a bunch of nodes on your network from your HD installed Knoppix/Debian system. Or ClusterKnoppix. 
I'll work on fixing the terminal-server script so this is not needed but in the mean time... enjoy.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Re: Knoppix Clustering

Originally Posted by
Lidio Mozi
I'm actually reach the following stage.
P III 550 - ClusterKnoppix 3.3 hdinstalled OK.
Powered on, got KDE, then "Start" -> KNOPPIX -> Services -> and Start knoppix OpenMosix Terminal Server (and configuration performed).
Found it very easy.
Icons of "opneMosixview 1.4" and "openMosixmigmon 1.4"on desktop and programs launched.
P Pro 200 - 98 MRam - no HD
Booting via LAN (3C905)starts downloading ClusterKnoppix from the P III, but after a while gives the following error :
"Cant NFSmolunt KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry
Dropping you to a (very limited) shell".
I'm still desperately trying (and browsing forums, sites etc.).
Suggestions?
Well it sounds much lke the regular knoppix i had the same problem the only way i found that worked to fix it was to copy the KNOPPIX dir from the cdrom and place it in the /cdrom folder it worked no problems right away
-
I'll have to try that since I know copying the /tmp/tftp stuff AND /cdrom works. It would be much easier just copying the CDROM to /cdrom. Thanks for the hint.
One more thing. I had tried mounting the ISO image as /cdromISO and changed all references in the knoppix-terminalserver script from /cdrom to /cdromISO but that didn't work. NFS complained. Being able to run LTSP from a mounted ISO/KNOPPIX would be the best way to run this IMHO. Eventually, I'd like to figure out how to specify LTSP boot images based on either MAC addresses or a list of MAC addresses.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
locutus
I'll have to try that since I know copying the /tmp/tftp stuff AND /cdrom works. It would be much easier just copying the CDROM to /cdrom. Thanks for the hint.
One more thing. I had tried mounting the ISO image as /cdromISO and changed all references in the knoppix-terminalserver script from /cdrom to /cdromISO but that didn't work. NFS complained. Being able to run LTSP from a mounted ISO/KNOPPIX would be the best way to run this IMHO. Eventually, I'd like to figure out how to specify LTSP boot images based on either MAC addresses or a list of MAC addresses.
It still seems like there should be a way to get this working completely from a hd install. Copying things to /cdrom is one way, but then you are limited to being able to run only the applications from the cd and not the newly installed ones. What about making /cdrom a symbolic link to /? Is there any way to link /cdrom to the directory structure on a hdinstall and have it work? Just a thought. It seems an easier solution than trying to rewrite the script.
-
install your applications in /cdrom on your server and you'll find them on every client that boots from the server in the clients /cdrom directory. Not very difficult but it would be nice if the knoppix-terminalserver script was patched on HDD Install to work with a user defined mount point( or directory ). But this'll work too.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
locutus
install your applications in /cdrom on your server and you'll find them on every client that boots from the server in the clients /cdrom directory. Not very difficult but it would be nice if the knoppix-terminalserver script was patched on HDD Install to work with a user defined mount point( or directory ). But this'll work too.
So turning /cdrom into a symbolic link for / (or whatever) won't work? How come? I haven't had a chance to give it a try yet.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Symlink
That sounds like a great idea and it is much more effective in the way that things should be done I will have to look into it myself thats what I was hoping for is a way to actually use the same drive as the server
-
Debian kernel + openmosix patch
I am looking for any documentation on the issue of patching a Debian kernel with the openMosix patch. As stated here the current clusterknoppix kernel is patched from an upcoming openMosix release.
The problems I have is the lack of "root over nfs" and proper support for ext3 and jfs, so I wish to atempt making a kernel with these options.
Has anyone been able to do this?
-
Junior Member
registered user
do you know Quantian, the Scientific Computing Environment
Quantian Scientific Computing Environment
- A Knoppix / Debian variant tailored to numerical and quantitative analysis
it's base on cluster knoppix 
a real Live CD linux for science / maths 
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantian.html
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/papers/...an_dsc2003.pdf
does anybody know ?
However, Quantian differs from Knoppix by adding a set of programs of interest to applied or theoretical workers in quantitative or data-driven fields. The added quantitative, numerical or scientific programs comprise
Similar Threads
-
By eris_pluvia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-19-2004, 03:15 PM
-
By YannLeMerle in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-07-2004, 04:33 PM
-
By MeSo in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-17-2004, 02:30 PM
-
By law_student in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 12
Last Post: 06-16-2003, 11:52 PM
-
By anibal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 06-06-2003, 05:35 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI
$525.00

Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1240v5 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD
$484.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99