Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 93

Thread: Using Knoppix to make a Linux cluster on your home network

  1. #71
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    I put /etc/init.d/openmosix restart in /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh and it works fine!
    With PXE, or without (I couldn't tell where your success was)?

    JD

  2. #72
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I haven't used PXE, sorry.

    BTW, I also put /etc/init.d/ssh start in /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh when using QUANTIAN as QUANTIAN doesn't start ssh automatically at boot-up like clusterKNOPPIX does.

    Regards,
    AJG

  3. #73
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    11
    ClusterKnoppix is seriously cool, and runs beautifully for me with PXE. It even detects and loads my persistent home dirs on each node if I configure it with the boot option "home=scan". Very nice to have all my KDE preferences and Live-Installer and Klik programs available so automagically.

    I'd like to use this as my main Knoppix version. But does anyone know why OpenOffice.org was removed? I really need it (unlike the other stuff that was removed), and since the clusterKnoppix ISO is only 554MB, and the OOo GNU/Linux download is only 75MB, there would appear to be room for OOo on a 700MB clusterKnoppix CDR(W). (I don't quite have the resources to remaster it myself and put OOo back in, if that's even possible.)

    Thanks in advance,
    Dave.

  4. #74
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1
    OK, please help... This error is killing me.... I am trying to create a cluster with clusterknoppix as the master and CHAOS as the drones. from many websites it says that for clusterknoppix you should follow these commands:

    su
    tyd -f init
    tyd

    well, I'm having massive problems here....

    Ty-d: crypt type IPSEC will be used.
    Ty-d: This default gateway will be used [192.168.0.1]
    Ty-d: Unable to initialise openMosix (Try "setpe -off"). Exiting.


    running setpe -off doesn't seem like the right thing to do, but it gives:
    openMosix configuration disabled.

    And then tyd:
    Ty-d: crypt type IPSEC will be used.
    Ty-d: This default gateway will be used [192.168.0.1]
    openMosix configuration changed: This is openMosix #107 (of 1 configured)
    openMosix #107 is at IP address 192.168.0.107
    Ty-d: critical error network bind failure in phillip.


    anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.

  5. #75
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Queretaro Mexico
    Posts
    36

    Static IP Problem

    Hi, I set a static IP in the server (HD installed) and the cluster worked fine (two PC), but I connected the two computers using a cross cable, and now I am using a router, which has internet connection, i connect other computers on the router and the nodes seem to be talking to each other fine, but the server machine doesn't have internet acces. Is there a way to have internet acces on the server, I connect through a DSL connection, which is configured on the router(Change the IP to dynamic and still have the nodes talking to each other?). Thanks

  6. #76
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I don't use bootmisc.sh anymore to start up ssh. I use update-rc.d ssh defaults! I only need to do this once during the hd-install process after editting /etc/lilo.conf and running netcardconfig.

    Regards,
    AJG

  7. #77
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Static IP Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by emmbec
    Hi, I set a static IP in the server (HD installed)....s. Is there a way to have internet acces on the server, I connect through a DSL connection, which is configured on the router(Change the IP to dynamic and still have the nodes talking to each other?). Thanks
    As long as the "server" is on the same sub-net (for most routers that's when the first three numbers in the IP address match when the mask is 255.255.255.0) and it's properly configured to use the router as the gateway, it should have Internet access, regardless of using DHCP or using a static IP address. You might want to post the information on the router, the ifconfig information for a machine that does work, and the ifconfig information for the "server" that doesn't seem to have Internet access.

  8. #78
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Queretaro Mexico
    Posts
    36
    That was the problem, i forgot to set up my router as gateway, thanks.

  9. #79
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    BTW, anyone know how to set-up an ftp server quickly? Isn't there a command like update-rc.d ssh defaults for ftp too? I fogot it!

    Thanx,
    AJG

  10. #80
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Queretaro Mexico
    Posts
    36
    There is one

    apt-get install proftpd

    Easy to install and setup, although its not Secure FTP

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Spaces in passwords (make permanent /home image)
    By eris_pluvia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-19-2004, 03:15 PM
  2. Knoppix in a small home network
    By YannLeMerle in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 04:33 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-17-2004, 02:30 PM
  4. Knoppix linux remastered for the home ... ESSENTIAL
    By law_student in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-16-2003, 11:52 PM
  5. How to make my extra /home partition reiserfs
    By anibal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-06-2003, 05:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.98