-
How to Connect to XP machine
Hi, my windows XP installation has crashed on a laptop. I'd like to copy all the information off the laptop on to my desktop prior to reinstalling the OS, unfortunately I can't even boot in to XP on the laptop.
I can see the partition and files when I boot using Knoppix, I can connect to the internet through the router (Linksys RT31P2), the desktop is connected to the same router. I can ping XP from Knoppix, I can not ping Knoppix from XP. The router is configured as a DHCP server.
Can I copy the entire contents of the laptop (now booted in Linux) to a folder on the desktop (Win XP)? Can I map the drive on the linux machine using XP?
How should I do this?
Thanks, John
-
Senior Member
registered user
-
Senior Member
registered user
Two comments
1) if the desktop is XP home (a fat32 file system,) you can do the transfer using knoppix CD's on both ends and avoid the samba configuration.
2) Google "forensic" type "copies". You can zip and send an entire partition over a network and unzip it into an empty partition on the desktop and then salvage, take it apart and|or recover with partition or file recovery tools at will.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
rcook
1) if the desktop is XP home (a fat32 file system,) ....
The default file system for XP home is NTFS. While it will also support fat file systems, it is very rare to find someone who installed it this way, and it never comes pre-installed this way.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Thank you for all the replies.
I have managed to start the copy process. I did the following:
- turn off windows firewall
- allow write access to 'everyone' to a specific share on the windows machine
- used KNetAttach under Internet to map the shared folder
- then just used Knoppix to copy the files, it is still copying but is working, transfer rate is OK but not great. It sat idle for quite a while asking if I wanted to skip a tmp file that windows had left open
Similar Threads
-
By ugo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 10-02-2005, 04:02 PM
-
By Dingo in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-17-2005, 02:58 AM
-
By tp671 in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-13-2005, 11:27 PM
-
By ewangr in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-24-2005, 05:06 PM
-
By beforewisdom in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 06-11-2003, 12:23 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots
$745.00

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell Constellation ES.3 3TB Enterprise-class Hard Drive (Wiped & Tested)
$39.00