-
Dual Boot Windows XP and Knoppix-NSM
Looking for some good (fairly detailed) instructions on how to dual boot Windox XP and Knoppix-NSM on one hard drive. I know, why ever would I want to do this...heh. I have a blank box with a clean slate. I don't want to have to boot from floppy or cd, etc. Unfortunately, I am a linux n00b but do understand the principals. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
-
Senior Member
registered user
There is a wealth of information available just by going to the "Documentation" link at the top of this page. There is much written there about HDD installation procedure. I would recommend using a distro other than Knoppix for a HDD install, since it is usually problematic. Knoppix was generally intended to be used as a live disk and not for installation. For Version 5.0.1, it has been claimed that it is more "Install" friendly, but I have not seen many non-problematic installs. I would recommend something like Debian, if you like the look and feel of Knoppix, or one of the other excellent distros that were intended for HDD install.
Another good resource for information, would be the Debian site. Knoppix is based on Debian, so some of it would apply. http://www.debian.org/ Or the Debian Documentation directly: http://www.debian.org/doc/ AND even the installation manual for Debian: http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual Just keep in mind that Knoppix is NOT exactly the same as Debian, and some of the features may be entirely different.
There are also a few decent books available on the subject. Check the "Books" link at the top of the page.
I would also recommend that you do not use your "Primary" system for experimentation. If this is a spare machine, have fun!
Similar Threads
-
By deepak_abc in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-20-2007, 09:01 AM
-
By 03myersd in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-09-2006, 01:48 PM
-
By jdong in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 86
Last Post: 02-24-2005, 03:17 AM
-
By ishtvan22 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-25-2004, 04:11 AM
-
By jimbo62 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-09-2004, 04:22 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$169.99

Apple Mac Pro 5,1 • 8‑Core 2.26GHz • 14GB RAM • 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD Dual NVIDIA
$325.00

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor
$175.00

Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex
$159.99

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor
$59.99

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY
$39.99

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked
$79.99

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor
$250.00

DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5" AIO Core i5 10500T 8GB 256GB NVMe Windows 11 -NO STAND
$179.99